Talk

Advanced search

Are dualit toasters really that bad?

(29 Posts)
HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 14:01:51

Lots of posters don't like them on here. I was going to get one for my mum and dad, they have such a dreadful ratty old toaster so I thought I'd buy them a dualit for Christmas. They have such a lovely house, I always wince when I see the crappy toaster they have (it's not big enough for a decent slice of bread, the top always stays untoasted!) so I thought a dualit would be a good replacement. My mum is an interior designer, so she really appreciates things that look good too, but of course they've got to work as well.

So dualit or no dualit? If not, any other similar type you can recommend?

hambo Sun 02-Aug-09 14:03:41

I love mine!

Why would you not?

And, they can be fixed if they break, and not just thrown away, (I believe...)

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 14:06:42

I thought they can't be that expensive for no reason surely!

My sister used to have one when we lived together and I never really had a problem with it, esp once I'd worked out how long a slice took to cook to perfection.

Any other experiences?

moondog Sun 02-Aug-09 14:12:02

I love mine.
It's far more attractive than the average toaster and it makes good toast.

aJumpedUpPantryBoy Sun 02-Aug-09 15:14:31

I love mine. It was a present - I don't know if I would have bought it myself, but I am now a dualit convert.
It makes great toast.

franke Sun 02-Aug-09 15:19:19

I think they look fab, but of the three I've encountered in my life, not one worked properly. Could be a coincidence.

sazm Sun 02-Aug-09 15:26:02

we used to have the dualit toastie machine where i worked,it was great,used LOADS (about 100 toasties a day) and never had ANY problems at all in the 6 yrs i worked there,

vjg13 Sun 02-Aug-09 16:30:26

I love mine it was the toaster of my dreams when we bought our first house and 13 years on still going strong.

Last year I fitted 2 new elements to it and it was good as new. It did take me about 2 hours and not 20 mins as the part said!

TwentiethCenturyHeffa Sun 02-Aug-09 16:31:55

I love mine, it was a wedding present and it's fab! We've only had it 3 years but had no problems so far.

wingandprayer Sun 02-Aug-09 16:33:59

Sorry but mine was utter shit and was glad the day we heaved it into the bin. I am sure there are plenty of far nicer things you could spend the money on Rathef than something that is supposed to toast bread but can't manage that without unflinching supervision.

wingandprayer Sun 02-Aug-09 16:35:31

Can you tell I am still quite bitter about the experience grin

GirlsAreLoud Sun 02-Aug-09 16:36:09

I've got a feeling the one my Mum and Dad bought at xmas is busted already.

I remember being surprised.

samsonthecat Sun 02-Aug-09 16:36:41

I love mine, it does 4 slices so no waiting for toast at breakfast time. My parents bought it for us for christmas and it even matches the red kitchen walls grin

Spidermama Sun 02-Aug-09 16:36:47

I've had mine for ages and nothing has gone wrong ever.

hippipotamiHasLost53lbs Sun 02-Aug-09 16:39:08

I have had my fab Dualit 4-slice toaster for jsut over 10 years now. Nothing has ever gone wrong with it and I love it!

HeadFairy Sun 02-Aug-09 20:06:32

Thanks everyone, that sounds like a majority have had no problems.

I can't really think of anything else to buy them... they literally have everything they want, they're really well off and have a beautiful house. That old toaster of theirs is so skanky I can't think why they've not replaced it other than laziness! We are talking about the woman who bought a £2000 new fridge because she had a new milk jug that didn't fit in her old fridge!

PestoMonster Sun 02-Aug-09 20:09:16

Get the Dualit, they're truly fab smile

SoupDragon Sun 02-Aug-09 20:09:19

I love mine. It's robust, repairable and looks good.

SoupDragon Sun 02-Aug-09 20:10:55

It's 12 years old and I've had to replace 1 element (which was a challenge but doable!).

scattykatty Sun 02-Aug-09 20:27:29

I love mine grin bought a red 2 slot but then the red 4 slot came out a few months later which would have been much better

msled Sun 02-Aug-09 20:29:49

We got ours as a wedding present in 2000 and it is fantastic. It's even been dropped and come up smiling! NO trouble at all and looks nice (if very slightly dented)

LadyThompson Sun 02-Aug-09 20:30:55

They're great. Can't imagine why anyone would knock 'em. What's not to like?

Swedes Sun 02-Aug-09 20:32:47

I love mine.

Redazzy Sun 02-Aug-09 21:52:26

We had a 4 slot and it broke really fast. We had it mended and then it went again. We were very disappointed. We now have a kitchen aid toaster which is very smart and have had no problems with it (about 3 years old).

trixymalixy Sun 02-Aug-09 22:17:47

I love the look of mine. I am into interior design as well.

It has lasted for probably about 10 years now.

I've never been overly impressed with the evenness of the toasting though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now