Talk

Advanced search

Britax Highliner - How can it fit up to 12 yrs?

(16 Posts)
Millarkie Sun 02-Aug-09 10:39:14

8yr old ds is complaining that the headrest section of his Britax Highliner is hurting his shoulders because he is too tall for it.(He is average height for his age). It is meant to fit 12 year olds so how does it adapt? It does not break apart into a booster seat and separate back - should I be able to take the head rest section off??

whomovedmychocolate Sun 02-Aug-09 12:28:38

Ring them and ask them - they have all sorts of weird configurations - ours you have to reach inside and press a button and the top pops right off. But it's not a highliner (can't remember what it is) but right the helpline (number on seat) they are really helpful

sazm Sun 02-Aug-09 14:09:57

i have 2 of these seats my dc are 5 and 3 tho,

the headrest doesnt come off,it goes up though,im assuming you have it up full??
the headrest shouldn't really touch his shoulders so long as its adjusted properly,

IotasCat Sun 02-Aug-09 14:14:07

My ds2 moved to a booster only from a hiliner when he was about seven.

Millarkie Sun 02-Aug-09 14:20:37

Thanks all, yes the headrest is as far up as it will go.
I finally found the instruction booklet on the web and it seems that there are no other configurations - I guess it only fits children up to age 11/12 if they are incredibly short!!
Iotascat - When we bought the hi-liners (we have one for each child) we thought that it would mean we wouldn't have to get booster seats further down the line..but ds is not tall enough to be strapped in without some sort of booster yet.

sazm Sun 02-Aug-09 14:25:26

much safer in a booster seat too than a booster cushion,
maybe pop to halfords and see if he fits in any of the newer seats?

thats pants though (i know ours were meant to be £89.99)luckily we got them for £19.99 in the sale if they are only going to last another couple of yrs (my 3yo is the same size as her big brother who si 5yo)

IotasCat Sun 02-Aug-09 16:54:11

Millarkie - so did we but ds2 just got too big !

I have a hardly used redundant hiliner in my garage

IotasCat Sun 02-Aug-09 17:01:34

My ds1 is 10 and there is no way he would fit in the hiliner now ( and he's just above average height and skinny)

sazm Sun 02-Aug-09 17:39:27

i take it there are other booster seats that do kids until they are 12?
or is the hi-liner a standard-ish size,so when kids get to about 7/8 they need to go on just a basic booster cushion?

Millarkie Sun 02-Aug-09 19:12:15

I'm going to ring Britax when I can and ask why they are marketed as up to 11/12 years when there is no way they will fit an average 11 year old (or just turned 8 year old it seems!).

LynetteScavo Sun 02-Aug-09 19:16:24

Is it becuase a child under 11/12 needs to be in a booster by law, unless they are over 135cm where as if they are small and over 12 they don't need to be in a bootser?

That's from memory, so I'm not sure.

Millarkie Sun 02-Aug-09 19:29:51

I think that's right regarding the Law, but my ds is not 135 cm tall yet and the seat is too small for him (he is 129 cm).

sazm Sun 02-Aug-09 21:23:41

if they are advertised to last until 12yo,then surely they have to be able to fit safely an average sized 12yo in them?

sazm Sun 09-Aug-09 22:21:24

just wanted to add,
there must be different models,
i had my hi-liners out of the car so thought i would check them,
my dp (yes dp) is 5ft2" and can actually fit in our hi-liners (just) so they will def do up to 135cm

CarGirl Sun 09-Aug-09 22:31:37

It will partly depend whether your height is in your legs or your body though!

I'm 152cm will go try ours out tomorrow!

sazm Mon 10-Aug-09 11:17:24

lol,well his certainly is not his legs lol!!!

just remembered about this thread when i had it out the car the other day, so i pulled the headrest right up and it looked huge,so he sat in it and he could sit in it,prob wouldnt be comfy for long jourenys,but he is a good few inches over the height that it needs to do upto!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now