Talk

Advanced search

Puky Woosh or Puky Learner Bike for DS's 2nd birthday?

(20 Posts)
Sycamoretreeisvile Sat 01-Aug-09 20:02:03

I'm torn because I just can't bear for it to sit in the shed for 6 months until he's actually big enough to use it and we'll be in the depths of winter.

I'm inclined towards the woosh as I can just see him confidently whizzing up the road to the park within days with DD on her scooter and us making the most of what's left of the summer <<she says, looking out of her window at the dark grey drizzling London sky>>.

I know you're all going to tell me to get the bike though, aren't you? DS is only 83.5cms tall though, and the guidelines for it are from 85cms to 120cms.

Hit me with your wisdom please smile

Sycamoretreeisvile Sat 01-Aug-09 21:02:08

Please? grin

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 01-Aug-09 21:04:54

Message withdrawn

iMum Sat 01-Aug-09 21:10:42

Neither! only ever go to islabikes get the rothan, my ds2 had it from2 and is no 2.9 and is on 2 pedels without stabilizers!

RumourOfAHurricane Sat 01-Aug-09 21:14:43

Message withdrawn

Sycamoretreeisvile Sat 01-Aug-09 21:21:45

Ha ha shiney - have seen so many balance bike threads on MN that I thought I'd get away without linking.

Thanks Imum - will take a look.

Sycamoretreeisvile Sat 01-Aug-09 21:26:32

Imum - it says minimum height for that rothan 2+ is 88 cms...

DS is way off that sad

It looks lovely though <winces at price>

Sycamoretreeisvile Sat 01-Aug-09 21:38:02

Shiney - urchin have ceased trading, though it says temporarily hmm

<<syc talks to self on issue of highest importance to only herself>>

mejon Sat 01-Aug-09 22:06:25

We've just bought the Puky Learner bike (the middle sized one) for DD's 3rd birthday. I was a bit worried that she'd be too small for it as she is tiny (84cms iirc) but it fits her fine. We took DD to our local cycle shop to try it out first and they also had this one which was a little bit smaller and nearer the ground but given a choice she decided on the Puky. There is a smaller 2 wheeled Puky but I didn't think we'd get the 'use' out of it and I'm sure this one will last for at least a couple of years if not more (unless DD has a massive growth spurt!)

PigeonPie Sat 01-Aug-09 22:11:56

DS1 had the middle Puky Learner Bike for his second birthday (he's now 3.8) and loves it. He's now almost ready for a peddalled bike and his younger brother (18m) looks very eager to get started on it, although I don't know whether the saddle will go down low enough for him yet!

What's the woosh though? I couldn't find it when I looked at the Puky site.

It's definitely one of the best buys we have made for the boys though. It's sturdy and so easy to get on and off. Can highly recommend them.

PigeonPie Sat 01-Aug-09 22:13:23

One other thing - you can actually lower the saddle once they become competent because it makes them bring their feet up and balance for longer so it means that it will do a slightly bigger child with more confidence!

Sycamoretreeisvile Sat 01-Aug-09 22:25:43

Puky Woosh or Wutch

Thanks guys, that's all v. helpful.

PigeonPie Sat 01-Aug-09 22:35:10

Definitely go for the bike!

Sycamoretreeisvile Sat 01-Aug-09 22:44:23

Ok, I think I'm going to get the smallest puky bike for DS.

But thanks for that link Mejon as they have a fantastic balance bike for DD on there which she'll love as it's pretty and girly and most are quite boyish.

She's turning four but doesn't have a bike yet and so I think this is the best place to start.

Phew - birthdays sorted. Can you believe I have two within 11 days of each other...

August is a pricey month in the sycamore household.

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 02-Aug-09 21:54:28

I saw this thread yesterday but couldn't post as I could not be bothered to log in on my parents computer hmmgrin

I'd definitely agree with you and go for the bike or a mini micro scooter (which would be cheaper). Dd's balance on hers is fab and, I think, she will be on a 'proper' bike well before ds was as a consequence. In fact, I just need to find the time to get her in the park with the other pedalled bike to have a go.

I have sent a text message to my mate, who lives locally but might be away, who has one and may be persuaded to sell (you never know!).

Dd has outgrown hers but unfortunately, it's the middle sized one and veeery pink grin

I like the puky though because the bit between the handle bars and saddle is very low, so good for short legs.

I got dd's from Cycle World which last year seemed to be the cheapest place.

Sycamoretreeisvile Sun 02-Aug-09 22:01:57

Ah, thanks Desperate.

I think I've persuaded myself into getting that islabike one for DS in hopes that it will last him a while. Took him to Evans today to try one of the wooden ones just to see how it is for size but he was so shy of the man in the shop he wouldn't get on it lol!

Think we are going to get DD one too actually...my mum has now nominated herself as buyer of bikes for birthdays and we are thinking about the likabike jumper in purple for her!

She has said if my money comes through from work DH and I can suddenly become the buyer of birthday bikes again grin and she'll revert to more sanely priced birthday gifts!

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 02-Aug-09 22:22:23

Well if you want to do a 'deal' on a second hand pink one like this let me know wink

Actually, feel free to borrow it for a while if you want. Dd never uses it.

We are around tomorrow (monday) then off to house-sit for my sister for 10 days (and be around near my parents as my dad goes in to hospital to have a tumour removed from his bladder sad). So let me know if you want it before we go smile

DesperateHousewifeToo Sun 02-Aug-09 22:24:11

ps. My parents are also the 'bike buyers' for our dcs smile

Sycamoretreeisvile Sun 02-Aug-09 22:48:19

Thanks Desperate. Will do. Going to try and get to a cycle shop tomorrow to try some for size.

nappyaddict Fri 07-Aug-09 16:50:38

Desperate If your friend is willing to sell and Sycamore isn't interested CAT me or email me on waterchestnuts at googlemail dot com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now