Talk

Advanced search

Replacement Window Lock Keys

(16 Posts)
LIZS Sat 01-Aug-09 13:08:25

We're couple of keys short. Can you get them cut at a Mr Minit or do you have to order from manufacturer.

sazm Sat 01-Aug-09 13:17:44

does your key work every window?
when we moved into our new house the windows were locked shut,and our joiner said you cant get new locks/keys you have to get new handles (which he done)

but if you have a key which works every window you should be able to get one cut?

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 13:19:18

you can pick the locks

are they the plastic type windows? can tell you how to do so if necessary

LIZS Sat 01-Aug-09 13:19:40

they all seem the same, upstairs at least

LIZS Sat 01-Aug-09 13:20:43

oh and we do have several already, just like to have one in each room in case of emergency and for convenience.

sazm Sat 01-Aug-09 13:21:22

lol,try the keys you have in all the windows and see if they work?
then i would see if your local cobblers can cut you some,

StealthPolarBear Sat 01-Aug-09 13:23:18

our window keys are a particular brand and apparently they're all exactly the same. So to get a new one you just buy them over the counter in a Mr Minit / Timpson's place. I was a bit shock by that but the new ones do work!

StealthPolarBear Sat 01-Aug-09 13:23:54

when I say all exactly the same, I mean anyone who has the same brand of window locks as us already has a key for our window

sazm Sat 01-Aug-09 13:25:54

ooh,suppose thats handy though,

our landlord had to pay for our new handles,thankfully lol,don't suppose they were cheap,

the fire service reccommend that you keep a key in each window for safety anyway,

lottiebunny Sat 01-Aug-09 13:29:50

SPB, pretty much all window keys are like that. I work with rental properties and have to get spare window keys all the time because our tenants lose them. I can't remember the last time I actually had one cut rather than just getting it off the shelf.

sazm Sat 01-Aug-09 13:35:35

ah,our windows were fitted AGES ago so nobody prob knows what make they are lol,

StealthPolarBear Sat 01-Aug-09 13:45:45

Thanks lottiebunny. I'd assumed that was the case but it could have just been ours (Cotswald). Is that not a HUGE security issue though? I suppose it prevents opportunistic theft but any decent burglar will have one of each in his toolbox!

sazm Sat 01-Aug-09 14:08:03

the windows can only be opened from the inside though so it shouldn't affect the security??

lottiebunny Sat 01-Aug-09 14:14:32

You're right about the security issue but most people keep they key either in the lock or very near the window anyway.

Its not unheard of for burglars to carry master keys for common front door locks either.

lottiebunny Sat 01-Aug-09 14:16:44

sazm, without window locks, you can smash the glass or cut a hole in it, put your hand through and open the window to gain access to the property. If you have window locks, you can't open it, even from the inside without the key.

sazm Sat 01-Aug-09 17:55:42

ah true lottie,hadn't thought of that,was the fire safety officer guy who told us to keep them in the window lock,in case of emergencies,they would be better out of burglars reach,on a hook then?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now