Talk

Advanced search

Primary aged children and ipods - what are your thoughts?

(14 Posts)
foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:49:07

Because I've noticed a fair few of dd's friends have been getting these as presents (for their birthdays - you know, the small colourful ones). She's going into yr5 but is August so still young.

Is it ok for their ears at that age? I think dd might be harbouring hopes of getting one at some stage but I'm not sure it's a good idea for children to have music plugged into their ears when they are so young.

I may be a bit overly sensitive as I lost most of my hearing in one ear after a bad infection as a child (it came back but I still lip read) so I'm looking for another perspective!

cocolepew Sat 01-Aug-09 08:59:37

If you mean the shuffle there is a volume control on it. You could limit the amount of time she uses it. I do agrre with you though, my DD still uses the old Walkman, in the house, because she can use earphones that fit over her ears.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 09:06:18

ah yes, I wonder if different headphones make a difference. A volume limiter is a good idea actually.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 12:59:55

thanks coco

have done some research and the volume limiting software is available on a lot of the ipods (not that I'm getting one but just out of interest really!)

Ceolas Sat 01-Aug-09 13:05:21

My DDs (9 and 7) both have ipod shuffles. Tbh they don't listen to them for very long periods. Not because I have restricted them, just because their attention span isn't great. I suspect a teenager could listen to it for much longer.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 13:14:26

what headphones do you use Ceolas?

Ceolas Sat 01-Aug-09 22:01:57

They just use the in-ear ones that came with them. I guess I've never really considered there were dangers blush

dd, 7 listens to hers with the earphones mostly when in the car. At other times she has these dinky portable speakers that she plugs her shuffle into.

RubberDuck Sun 02-Aug-09 11:09:13

No different to us getting Sony Walkmans at that age really (only a lot easier for them to cart them about!)

lulalullabye Sun 02-Aug-09 11:10:20

If you go on the apple website, you can get special childrens noise restricting earphones smile

Littledawley Sun 02-Aug-09 11:15:19

My dc were 4 & 2 When they got an iPod shuffle. You can restrict the volume easily.
It does make me blush a little when I hear my two year old saying "mummy, where's my iPod?"

Ceolas Sun 02-Aug-09 16:58:58

Oh yes, we have the speaker too. It's tiny!

How can you restrict the volumne on them? I have one and didn't know you could.

franklymydear Sun 02-Aug-09 17:02:32

My kids got MP3s in primary - I think the youngest age was 7. Get one that has a volume limiter - I wouldn't get an ipod though too much money and they'll lose it anyway

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now