Talk

Advanced search

Digital radio recommendations

(39 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 08:13:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 01-Aug-09 08:19:10

I have a Pure, 'portable' one, here, which is very good.

I actually use mine in the car, so that I can listen to Radio 5 when I'm travelling! Medium wave reception in my car is shite, but Radio 5 is my 'in car' listening of choice, so it's really frustrating in certain parts of the country when the signal/reception is so poor.

EyeballsintheSky Sat 01-Aug-09 08:19:14

I've got a Pure One I think which is really good but a bit big. I really liked the look of the Pure Mini but it doesn't have a sleep timer so it depends what you need it to do. It's nice and small though.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:24:54

I've got the Pure walkman one for the train (also because I like radio 5 too and can't bear the medium wave signal) but it's very old now and I suspect there are newer smaller ones

we get no signal in our house because the neighbours did an extension and put loads of steel in so at the back of the terraces, we get no signal! It's really frustrating because the kitchen is at the back so we can't have a digital radio in there at all.

Just a warning in case you hadn't tried one yet!

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 01-Aug-09 08:38:14

That must be irritating, FIS.

Our neighbours built a loft conversion which means that our aerial no longer picks up a signal. Mainly because they very helpfully tried to move it/bend it so that it could.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:42:52

The Move that's my one

I like the look of yours BIWI. I've been totally converted to digital radio and find it frustrating that the only way we could get it in the house is with an aerial (though we have it via Sky!). The quality of the broadcasts is so good.

Just get a recepit Lenin, in case you have no signal. I can't remember where I bought mine from but they quite happily took it back and said it was a big problem in London crammed in housing (getting no signal!).

Does yours work ok in the car BIWI? Mine works alright on the train but there are gaps in the signal every now and then (Richmond has a big gap for some reason!).

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:43:38

The Move oops last link didn't work this one should

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 08:44:44

this one

lol grr. Doesn't like the Pure website!

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 01-Aug-09 08:46:13

Mostly fine in the car - although I have only tried Radio 5. There are still places where it's a dodgy signal, but generally much better (and certainly much better quality) than the car radio. (Mind you, car is coming up for 9 years old, so probably not the greatest car radio you can get!)

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 08:54:26

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 08:55:57

EyeballsintheSky Sat 01-Aug-09 09:00:08

The Classic is my one. Very nice clear sound but big.

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 01-Aug-09 09:00:57

I suppose it depends how much you're going to use it, as to whether you need to go for anything expensive.

But I definitely wouldn't go for the pink one!

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 09:01:40

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 09:05:15

I like the look of that Roberts Gemini one on the John Lewis link

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 09:05:48

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 09:06:41

EachPeachPearMum Sat 01-Aug-09 09:08:18

do you realise that they use many times the power of normal radios?
that completely puts me off them.

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 09:10:42

did you look at the features? if you are listening on battery, think the classic gives you twice as much time as the mini.

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 09:11:09

MadameCastafiore Sat 01-Aug-09 09:11:36

I got this one for DH here and I have to say it is brilliant.

The digital sound is better than that of our normal roberts leather digital radio and the sound when you use it as an ipod dock is better than our apple docking thing!

You do need a degree to work our how to programme the alarm but I leave that to DH!

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 09:12:46

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 09:14:40

you know, it drives me INSANE that the only way I can listen to the cricket in the car/kitchen is on long wave radio

I don't know why the BBC hasn't put it on a main stream radio channel rather than 5 sports extra though I think I am going to follow BIWI's lead and get the same one she has for the car!

LeninGrad Sat 01-Aug-09 09:15:08

foxinsocks Sat 01-Aug-09 09:17:08

tbh, I think the mini is more aesthetically pleasing but I may have been poisoned by the sight of the classic pink monstrosity

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now