Talk

Advanced search

School shoes?

(14 Posts)
Marne Fri 31-Jul-09 18:57:24

Do you get you children Clarks shoes of go for something cheaper?

Last year i spent a fortune on a pair of clarks for dd1 and they lasted a few months and i'm thinking when dd2 starts school i will have to fork out for 2 lots of shoes shock, are there cheaper alternatives?

Marne Fri 31-Jul-09 18:58:35

Dd1 has just seen the Lelli Kelly add for school shoes and asked if she could have some and was shocked when i said 'no way'.

K999 Fri 31-Jul-09 18:59:32

I was the same as you and then ended up just buying shoes out of George at Asda. Or Sainsburys. Supermarkets always have a good range although if you're requring a 'special' you may not find them there! smile

K999 Fri 31-Jul-09 19:00:54

'special fit' I mean!!

Marne Fri 31-Jul-09 19:09:15

I think dd1's feet are normal (not wide or very thin), Dd2 always cost me a fortune as she has an H fitting in clarks and still struggles to get a good fit.

TheProfiteroleThief Fri 31-Jul-09 19:15:52

I bought startrites for mine and got 5 months solid wear from them. I think you usually get what you pay for - leather inners etc

sazm Fri 31-Jul-09 19:44:27

i just got ds lovely ones from tesco,really chunky and comfy looking,and about £9

squilly Fri 31-Jul-09 19:57:57

I got Hush Puppies for my girl after years of disappointment with Clarks. They are much more hard earing, a similar price, and you can sometimes get them from TK Max for a tenner..

largeginandtonic Fri 31-Jul-09 20:00:58

Startrite and Primigi are fabulous, the twins get a year out of them sometimes.

The others grow quickly and it's usually 5-6 months.

muggglewump Fri 31-Jul-09 20:05:15

I go to Asda or ShoeZone. I've never had any problems with shoes from there and they last well enough. I buy boots around November and then more shoes at Easter.

janestillhere Fri 31-Jul-09 20:08:41

Just got my DS some decent shoes from BHS.
£18

Hope they last longer than the Asda ones a few months ago...

bebesequin Fri 31-Jul-09 20:45:27

Startrite or noel these cost more initially but usually get nearly a year out of them Clarks just don't last and styles a bit off

raffyandted Fri 31-Jul-09 21:47:19

I normally buy DS clarks, but I get them from places like ebay (new, not used) or in the Clarks sale. I just bought him two pairs of shoes, one for now & one in next size up in the Clarks sale, both reduced to £12 from £28. And the Startrite website do some cracking bargains sometimes in their sale, I had a pair of sandals for him that were £32 reduced to £9.60!

Have to say, having now seen the Startrite sandals compared to clarks, they do look more well-made. But then they seem to cost about £5-10 more than comparable Clarks shoes.

I do take him to get measured every so often to check the width, but I read here that an 'F' width fitting will pretty much suit 80% of children.

The startrite website has a print-off foot measuring guide & I think the clarks website do it too now.

MilaMae Fri 31-Jul-09 21:52:19

My twins just had 1 pair of Startrites last year.

Just gone in and got all 3 Startrites at R&B, they judged really well this time last year. Think they added on half a size to make sure they'd last.

Qualitywise they were fab. The assistant did say they get loads of mums in rating Startrite over Clarks.

I added it up and a lot of the boys friends got through 3 pairs of cheap shoes last year. They cost way more than my 1 pair of Startrites.

Having said that I've only ever had to buy 2 pairs of shoes a year for my twins so if your child constantly grows out of shoes it might not be so cost effective. I've got a R&B card and get a £10 voucher every so often, you get points,with 3 kids it does add up as I buy a lot of shoes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now