Talk

Advanced search

Best sling for a 12lb newborn??!

(20 Posts)
SuperAmoo Wed 29-Jul-09 19:52:30

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but with my first DD who weighed 9.3 at birth and now again with my second DD who weighed the same, I can't find a sling that works. I have tried lots of different types but my babies cry and squirm in hammock type slings that all seem too small and squash them - my second DD is on the 99th percentile for length. But because DD2 can't support her own head yet, I don't want to use something like a Baby bjorn because they don't provide any head support. I also have a Kari-me fabric sling and I just can't get the hang of it - DD just slips lower and lower until she's hanging around my crotch no matter how tight I have the sling! Plus I find it so hot - we both end up boiling hot. The Babasling I have just squashes her in the hammock position and in the upright position it doesn't support her head. What am I doing wrong! My DD wants to be carried all the time but I can't do it without a sling. Any suggestions?

GwarchodwrPlant Wed 29-Jul-09 19:55:01

I'm with you! I never got along with any sling and would ahve loved for them to come with a real human being instead of instructions to show you how to do it! I'll be watching with interest!

ramblingmum Wed 29-Jul-09 20:30:26

Have you been in youtube? There are lots of clips of how to put on different slings. Or a sling meet which should give you a real life person to talk to.

thisisyesterday Wed 29-Jul-09 20:34:34

hmm i was going to say moby, but maybe not if you don't get on with the kari-me. i certainly loved mine with ds2 until he was gone 6 months, and so far so good with ds3 who is 12lb 8ish

i am also using my mei tai a lot more for ds3 though, have a cwtshi and a babyhawk. favouring babyhawk atm as it gives him better head support.
and they do the best designs :D

GwarchodwrPlant Wed 29-Jul-09 20:38:25

I've watched the vids and there would be no sling meets where I live (pretty rural, still awaiting electricity)

What we need is a real-life person included with the instructions, no?

Loopymumsy Wed 29-Jul-09 20:49:22

Message withdrawn

fairimum Thu 30-Jul-09 07:41:07

I LOVE my connecta (like a mei tai but easier to put on as clips rather than ties) - have used it with DD from birth and she muct prefered it to other slings as she had more room and i prefered it as so comfortable! Still use it every day for dog walks (onmy back) and she is 14 months, also carried my 4 year old nephew in it for an hour with no problems!

there is a pic on my profile! really our best buy!!

Littledawley Thu 30-Jul-09 07:45:41

Kari-me is so brilliant! You just have to tie it on so tight that you think that there's no way you'll get the baby in. When baby is in she should be high enough that you can kiss her head without having to bend down much.
Have you looked on the Kari-me website?

SuperAmoo Thu 30-Jul-09 08:31:18

Thank you everyone. I'm going to give my Karime another go and tie it really really tight. Connecta looks interesting too - might try and hire one or borrow one from someone.

GwarchodwrPlant Thu 30-Jul-09 09:31:51

<excuse the highjack OP>

Loopsymumsy I live in North Wales which is about 125miles from ceredigion so a wee bit far too travel unfortunately! Thankyou for your offer though!

lisad123 Thu 30-Jul-09 09:33:36

the close sling is like a karime, but already tied with rings on the side to make it tighter. It also comes with a dvd too

Loopymumsy Thu 30-Jul-09 09:41:59

Message withdrawn

newlark Thu 30-Jul-09 21:45:32

I would persevere with the stretchy wrap for the moment - you do need to tie them tighter than you expect - mine was fine until ds was nearly six months (he was nearly 10lb at birth). I use woven wraps, a mei tai and a patapum now, becoming a bit of a sling addict blush but find different ones good for different situations

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Jul-09 21:48:21

a calin bleu gauze should last justr as long as any other woven wrap.
i recently sold mine, but used it to carry ds1 until he was well over 2, and know others who have used them for a long time as well.

that said, i agree that a woven wrap would be a better investment.

but i would still stick with a mei tai because it's a great sling for someone who is a bit unsure! woven wraps have such a steep learning curve they can put people off

Loopymumsy Thu 30-Jul-09 21:57:59

Message withdrawn

thisisyesterday Fri 31-Jul-09 15:20:59

BWCC, rucksack or tibetan

SuperAmoo Fri 31-Jul-09 21:42:42

Wow thanks everyone - I'm borrowing a Connecta carrier from a friend of a friend over the weekend so I'm looking forward to trying it!

fairimum Sat 01-Aug-09 21:39:42

oooo let us know how you get on!! we love ours

QueenFee Sat 01-Aug-09 21:43:46

I'm using a ring sling with my 11.5 lb newborn and its great. Also in north wales btw. I tried a wrap and he hated it but loves the ring sling.

tattycoram Sat 01-Aug-09 21:43:57

I used a wilkinet for my big (10'11) newborn. That was very comfy for me and supportive for him. I think connectas look great though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now