Talk

Advanced search

Sewing Machines - come and tell me which one of these you would buy

(7 Posts)
AvadaKedavra Wed 29-Jul-09 19:26:36

www.additionsdirect.co.uk/rf/add/s.do?Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nu=this_product&Np=1&Nty=1&Ntk=generi c_search&Ntt=sewing%20machine

Which would you buy?

Is more expensive always better?

<novice>

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 29-Jul-09 19:33:52

Pesronally i wouldnt buy any of them but 1. i am not a novice (blew last machine up due to over use) and 2. I have my eye on a beauty.

My advice would be to consider
a) what do you intend to use if for
eg repairs/makes/patchwork etc and which materials eg light weight vs heavy weight vs fluffy backings
b) How much do you intend to use it.

My sister has a cheap no brand name machine that she has had for years. She uses it for hemming and basic repairs.

I have a similar machine which i outgrew immediately and have had to have repaired 2 and blew up in the same time.

Expesnive is not necessarily better if you dont want to do anything adventerous, however if you are thinking about dressmaking and more heavyweight/complicated projects and usage then the money is generally worth it.

singalongamumum Wed 29-Jul-09 19:35:10

I have the brother one that costs about £80 and I love it. I am not a keen sewer but so glad I have it for small but necessary jobs since having DS. My opinion is that you only really need to spend more than that if it will be having a lot of use, sewing thick fabrics or you want to do something complicated.

That said, I didn't want to spend less than that because I didn't want it to fall apart after 6 months.

craftynclothy Wed 29-Jul-09 19:38:19

Do you have a local sewing shop near you that sells sewing machines? If so, I'd go in and see what they have. They'll be able to advise you what you need for whatever you're planning on using it for & will let you have a go with the machines.

You can always come home and search for a better deal on the internet although I've found my local place isn't much more expensive.

AvadaKedavra Wed 29-Jul-09 19:39:48

Making cushions, napkins, blinds, dolls clothes, housey bits n bobs, nothing too adventurous, just lightweight fabrics I would imagine.

Intend to use it lots - in reality will for about a month and then will "forget" I have got it grin

JoeJoe1977 Wed 29-Jul-09 19:44:37

I've got the Singer 2273 that's on the page you linked to. I've had it about 6 months and it replaced an old fashioned Singer that blew up on me (it was over 50 years old).

I've found it really easy to use, although it did take me a while to get the hang of the front loading bobbin. Yet to try the 1-step button hole so not sure how easy that is. It's been used on a variety of fabrics for dressmaking, cushions and bedding, so far so good!

DidEinsteinsMum Wed 29-Jul-09 21:32:45

I second getting a local hands on shop to advise. That is how i have choosen mine. I took 3 years to save as its fancy but it is going to have to wait even longer as i have to buy a bed angry envy at you getting new one. I have borrow mum's this week and have almost finished making 2 pairs of curtains. I go through spates of being all busy and forgetting i have it. It depends on RL. When i get fed up i seem to need to sew grin Maybe i'll finish my easter chickens in time for next easter and they didnt make this grin. Tip - make you finish a project before forgetting you have it eles it wont get done winkgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now