Talk

Advanced search

Crystal deoderants - do they work?

(19 Posts)
bubble2bubble Wed 29-Jul-09 09:24:26

Thinking about trying one of these Pit Rok/crystal type deoderants, but as I'm quite sweaty I wondered if they actually work?

Furball Thu 30-Jul-09 06:52:39

Thy are only a deodorant not antiperspirant

With me I found they worked until my normal deodorant wore off, ie a few days then I suffered very wet armpits.

Now use mitcham spray.

Blackduck Thu 30-Jul-09 07:12:09

Have a friend who swears by them. I don't find them good for me - Mitchem roll on (fragrance free) here...

FaintlyMacabre Thu 30-Jul-09 07:31:07

They work very well as deodorants, but as has been said, they are not antiperspirants. You may find that your natural sweatiness settles down once you stop confusing your armpits with antiperspirants though.
I am a true lady and merely glow so it works well for me!

bubble2bubble Thu 30-Jul-09 09:42:40

Hmmm.. thought that might be the case- also a Mitchum person so probably not for me!

treedelivery Thu 30-Jul-09 09:48:43

I sweat like a bugger and the magic cure is persperex - or something like that.

You apply it at night to completely dry skin. I mean dry, or it will burn! Hairdryer on cool to make sure! Then wash it off in the morning. Do this for 3 nights and you won't sweat for a fortnight. Magic. I used it for my wedding and also when a bridesmaid in a frock that would show the sweat. Fab fab fab.

It's about £6 and in Boots etc.

poopscoop Thu 30-Jul-09 09:50:02

we use pitrok and its fab. best left by the shower and put on wet skin rather than having to run it under water.

We also use Bionsen as this too is aluminium free. I will never use, or let my family use deodrant which contains aluminium.

nicm Thu 30-Jul-09 11:50:32

i found it settles down after you have been using it for a while. i'm really sweaty too but would be on the go all day and only have to shower twice a day some nights. wouldn't use an aluminium one now esp as bf, stopped when i got pg.

VulpusinaWilfsuit Thu 30-Jul-09 11:54:44

The crystal ones are made from alum, a salt of aluminium. Don't be fooled by the hype.

phdlife Thu 30-Jul-09 11:55:45

I use tea-tree deodorants, if you're looking for something aluminium-free.

(can anyone tell me why we're supposed avoid aluminium in deodorant stuff? I've forgotten)

Sheeta Thu 30-Jul-09 12:11:25

this is all new info to me - why is aluminium bad?

poopscoop Thu 30-Jul-09 12:34:18

sheeta - aluminium deodrants have been linked to breast cancer. You have to really study all the small print on the sides of the deodrant and you will find the majority of them contain aluminium.

The link seems to be more so as when we shave under our arms the aluminium can enter your body.

The Bionsen one clearly states no aluminium on it. If you want to try it, tesco has the roll on one on offer at the moment (online) for a pound instead of around 2.14 i think.

I prefer the pump action one though but i do buy both.

Sheeta Thu 30-Jul-09 12:42:57

Ah, I should ask the boffins at work about this, would be something they know about I think.

I'll search for the papers, thank you!!

Sheeta Thu 30-Jul-09 12:54:00

hmm.. PubMed isn't being particularly helpful. I can find papers about it, but just as many saying that it doesn't cause cancer.

Does anybody have a link to a good paper that I could have a nosy at?

Sheeta Thu 30-Jul-09 12:57:16

never mind

phdlife Thu 30-Jul-09 13:11:42

ah yes - that journalist, Vivan...? someone help me out with her name here - UK science journalist, writes a lot, pretty well known, she did a feature about it once. I only know about it because a friend told me though, but you might be able to find it. If you can remember her name!

SOLOisMeredithGrey Thu 30-Jul-09 13:14:03

I love the crystal. Far better than all those chemicals!

treedelivery Thu 30-Jul-09 13:17:10

I'd love to use the crystal method but if I did sweat would drip off my elbow.

<<watches as everyone runs away from me>>

newlark Thu 30-Jul-09 21:41:46

I've been using pitrok (the same one - they last for ages) for 2 years now and actually find i sweat less than I used to - I don't even have a problem if i forget to use it one day. I went away without it once and borrowed my dh's antiperspirant for 2 days - the following day I was really sweaty and whiffed of bo a bit . I think it took a few days to settle back down. Hate to think what the antiperpirant is doing to me to have that effect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now