Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Buying a single bed for DS - what to get...?

(16 Posts)
GoldenSnitch Tue 28-Jul-09 21:06:56

DS is 2.5 and we're about to move him into a 'Big Boy Bed' in plenty of time for him to get used to it before DC2 arrives in December and needs to use his cot.

So we need to buy him a single bed but I have no idea where to start!!

I've always had rubbish/came with the house/hand-me-down beds until just before DS was born when DH and I bought ourselves a Silent Night Miracoil mattress with a memory foam top. It's devine. The most comfortable thing I've ever slept on - I want DS to have a lovely, warm, soft place where he can feel cozy too...

But at the same time, I don't have masses of money to spend.

Can small children have memory foam mattresses? Should they have springs? Do you get the same soft/hard mattress choice like there is with adult beds? Should they have firm matresses?

Who would have thought it could be so complicated!?!

Please help!

GoldenSnitch Tue 28-Jul-09 21:33:14

Anyone?

GoldenSnitch Wed 29-Jul-09 07:20:53

bump

Seona1973 Wed 29-Jul-09 08:32:52

ds has this bed with a comfort mattress that we got from Argos(it was in the sale). If you are getting a standard single bed then you have the usual choice of mattresses so it depends how much you want to spend as to which one you get.

Seona1973 Wed 29-Jul-09 08:35:58

silnetnight also do kids beds if you want that rather than a bog standard single bed.

TigersChick Wed 29-Jul-09 08:46:15

DD has this bed with a bog-standard matress.

It's a good, solid bed and she had no trouble switching into it.
We have a bed bar that we bought in Mothercare. It makes changing the bed a bit awkward but I wouldn't be without it.

The only drawback is the drawers underneath it mean that we can't put any furniture against the end of it - which means she is only just now (over a year after moving into it) able to reach her water which is on the chest of drawers next to her bed.
If your DS's room is a little short on space (like DD's) then think carefully how the furniture will fit before you go for anything with 'under-bed storage'.

GoldenSnitch Wed 29-Jul-09 09:30:54

I did look at the Silent Night ones and thought they were expensive - until I saw the cost of some other beds!! Bit worried the headboard would soon seem a bit childish though...

OmniDroid Wed 29-Jul-09 09:50:35

DS has my old single bed from when I was a teenager (thanks Mum & Dad) with a new Argos mattress. It's too soft for an adult, but fine for a 15kg 3 year old. And a BabyDan bed rail at the side.

GoldenSnitch Wed 29-Jul-09 09:54:11

My old bed went to the dump years ago. Plus it was a cabin bed so way off the floor and totally unsuitable for a 2 year old. DH's bed is still in current use whenever GC's stay over at PIL's.

DS is currently in his cotbed with a bedrail but I need the cot for DC2 in December.

What I need is a nice, low, cheapish single bed

ButtercupWafflehead Wed 29-Jul-09 09:55:36

We just bought a brand new silent night miracoil 3" mattress for £120 - can't recommend it enough - it's good enough for adults and will hopefully last DS years.

Teamed it up with a normal pine bed frame, he looks small in it but I make it up with a flat sheet folded back on itself so he can't slip down the bed (if that makes sense).

We got ours off the net, lots of suppliers and I felt reassured by the brand name.

anniemac Wed 29-Jul-09 10:03:38

Message withdrawn

GoldenSnitch Wed 29-Jul-09 10:12:32

anniemac - We bought our kitchen from IKEA and it was the biggest disaster ever. Since then have decided not to buy stuff from there unless we absolutely cannot find it better/cheaper somewhere else..

Where did you get your mattress from Buttercup?

anniemac Wed 29-Jul-09 10:41:56

Message withdrawn

ButtercupWafflehead Wed 29-Jul-09 12:45:03

here

Would recommend, delivered to our door in 10 days.

But we are local to them.

gagamama Fri 31-Jul-09 09:29:08

If you're up for a bit of haggling, there are loads of struggling showrooms with sales on at the moment who are just itching to get rid of stock. I bought a fantastically comfy brand-name (but can't remember which brand... Sealy, I think) double memory foam mattress for £200 with free delivery recently. It was Saturday, the showroom was empty, and the saleswoman actually chased after me as we left the shop. I think I got about £120 knocked off, plus delivery, and could've had the divan bit for another £50 if I'd wanted (but I hate divans and had already aquired a cheap frame off eBay).

I'm just hoping they don't go into liquidation before it gets delivered!

gagamama Fri 31-Jul-09 09:30:50

That was £120 off the sale price, BTW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now