Talk

Advanced search

Good cheap bread maker?

(4 Posts)
FlyMeToDunoon Tue 28-Jul-09 13:35:52

Rethinking the budget.
Have read the advice in MN food section and am thinking about getting one.
But as usuaul I am on a tight financial rein so cheaper is better.
I don't think I would want to be adding seeds or nuts etc.

12StoneNeedsToBe10 Tue 28-Jul-09 13:41:20

I've always used my foodprocessor to make my bread - economical as it can also be used for so much more than an actual bread maker.
Add the ingredients, whizz it round for about 2 mins, knead a bit then leave to rise etc.
I know that people who have bread-makers swear by them as once everything's added it can just be left until the fresh loaf pops up, so to speak. But my argument is, why have something using your electricity for the rising/proving part of the process when it can do that very well on it's own in your loaf tin?!?! You'll have something plugged in for about 3 hours won't you rather than the 30-40 mins in the oven.
It makes sense to me but others will no doubt disagree smile

FlyMeToDunoon Tue 28-Jul-09 17:34:23

I feel that if I was going to use my food processor I may as well just make the whole thing by hand [which I used to do a lot]
Have looked in local sainsbo but none there.
So where and what for cheap but ok?

JulesJules Tue 28-Jul-09 17:45:54

I have a Morphy Richards Fastbake, it was about £40. It gets used every day, it's great. It will apparently also make jam! (Mine is too busy making bread though)

It takes 2 hours 50mins to make a loaf, but uses far less electricity than putting the oven on. All you have to do is throw the ingredients in, takes 2 minutes, and switch on or set the timer so you come downstairs to the smell of warm bread, num num num (dribble).

I got mine from Amazon, but they are widely available, I think my sister got hers in Tesco.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now