Talk

Advanced search

Amazon Prime - pay £48 for a year of next day delivery anyone a member

(37 Posts)
flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 12:45:41

We are thinking of using this as we shop online fair bit , must buy at least one thing from amazon a month if not more.

But we are buying dd a new mattress so thought we would just get one of amazon, but the best priced ones were not available to buy using our prime account which is on trial at the moment.

Is anyone else using it? What do you think of the deal?

CMOTdibbler Sun 26-Jul-09 14:05:05

We have it, and have made a lot of use of it. But if the best price taking into account p&p isn't Amazon, I don't buy it there.

ilovemydogandmrobama Sun 26-Jul-09 14:08:47

I had a free trial and liked it, but couldn't really justify the cost. But, perhaps you could, um, try it out first, order a mattress, and then cancel it?

flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 14:15:26

We already have it on trial, have used it a few rimes in one week! Am wondering whether to keep it going. We can't get the mattress we want using the prime account.

iwontbite Sun 26-Jul-09 14:21:12

i think it's a bit pointless tbh. a lot of stuff qualifies for free delivery, so unless you regularly order stuff that you need really urgently it's not really a good deal is it?
IME stuff from amazon comes fairly quickly anyway.
plus, as a pp says amazon may not have the cheapest prices on everything and you end up ordering stuff elsewhere and paying postage on it etc etc

MadEyeballsMoody Sun 26-Jul-09 14:21:32

I have it and have made great use of it. My brother orders shedloads of stuff from Amazon and uses my account as well because of it. I also don't buy anything that doesn't come straight from Amazon though. It's been worthwhile for me but you'd have to buy a fair amount I think.

Geepers Sun 26-Jul-09 14:23:26

They offer free delivery on anything over £5 anyway don't they? It might take a day or two extra to arrive but I wouldn't pay nearly £50 for something they offer for free.

flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 14:25:02

Do they? I am sure I have always paid for delivery?

Ponders Sun 26-Jul-09 14:49:29

Well into 2nd year of Prime now & I love it - no qualms about ordering something costing just a couple of quid in its own, no charge for p&p, arrives in the post next day - fantastic service & well worth the cost.

Also up to 3 (I think) other people nominated by me can use my Prime service.

Ponders Sun 26-Jul-09 14:50:34

on its own...

MadEyeballsMoody Sun 26-Jul-09 15:17:18

No, I think its over £13 or something, used to be £19. But that is a longer delivery time. This is next day and well worth it.

flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 15:24:38

I do like next day, one of my flaws is my impatience

PrincessToadstool Sun 26-Jul-09 15:27:08

Free delivery is now on everything over £5 so I cannot jusify nearly £50 for a year's worth of free delivery. I would love to though as use Amazon a lot! If it was half the price I'd go for it.

foofi Sun 26-Jul-09 15:30:05

DH has it and gets a lot of use out of it.

foofi Sun 26-Jul-09 15:30:32

By the way, are you twinset?

BadgersArse Sun 26-Jul-09 15:31:25

the prob is that
1) you haev to sign for it allt eh time
2) it doesnt awlays come next day

BadgersArse Sun 26-Jul-09 15:32:04

the signing means that you are OUT and then you have to go and pick it up
pita imo

flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 15:32:18

foofi yes I am,

Will look into the free delivery over £5 and see how it compares

foofi Sun 26-Jul-09 15:33:53

Big change of image eh? grin
Well it is the holidays.

SofiaAmes Sun 26-Jul-09 15:47:30

I have it here in the usa. Actually I am on my brother's account, so he pays for. If the uk one is the same as the us one you can add 4 or 5 people to your account for no extra charge, so it may be worth grouping up with a few people and getting it. I order a lot of books and things which are the type of thing that amazon sells, so it's worked out really well for me. Yes, sometimes the amazon price is a little more, but the free (quick) shipping makes up for it. Also, if you need to return something, it's much better if it's purchased from amazon directly rather than one of the 3rd party sellers.

Sari Sun 26-Jul-09 15:50:10

I love it and use it loads. I love knowing I will have things the next day, and for us they always do arrive the next day.

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 26-Jul-09 15:57:20

We use it -- order stuff one day and it turns up the next with no delivery charge. When we used to use the standard free delivery it would turn up a random number of days later wanting a signature, and I wouldn't be in and would have trouble actually getting hold of the parcel. This way is much easier to plan. You do need to remember that it doesn't apply to non-Amazon sellers selling on Amazon, though, so you will end up paying delivery if you order from them.

BadgersArse Sun 26-Jul-09 16:16:18

this needs a signature!

ButterbeerAndLemon Sun 26-Jul-09 16:25:37

Yes, but I know on Thursday whether or not I'm going to be in on Friday (and on many occasions can arrange to be in waiting for a parcel). I don't necessarily know on a Thursday whether I'm going to be in the following Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and I certainly can't arrange to be in for three complete days (or more) waiting for a parcel.

(And sometimes Prime doesn't require a signature; I've never quite been able to work out whether there's a system for which packages do and which don't)

flatcapandpearls Sun 26-Jul-09 16:57:50

Dp works from home so signatures are not a problem.

Still undecided.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now