Talk

Advanced search

taking things back to m&s without a receipt, how do they know I haven't just stolen it?

(56 Posts)
brimfull Sun 26-Jul-09 09:31:34

I have a watch to take back,have lost receipt .

I want to exchange.Can they tell by scanning it that I have in fact paid for it by credit card and not just popped it into my handbag on the way to the customer service desk?

cornsillk Sun 26-Jul-09 09:33:19

Is that the watch you were looking at the other day?

brimfull Sun 26-Jul-09 09:35:58

no I bought a silver one for some reason

have decided it looks very grannyish

littlelamb Sun 26-Jul-09 09:38:22

Well I suppose they can't. I took a sewing machine bcak to Tesco a few months ago, and they told me that without a reciept I would just have to prove I'd spent the money in the store- a bit of a pain if I'd paid with cash, but as it was my bank statement clearly showed the transaction. That was for a refund though, I think for an exchange you wouldn't even need that

brimfull Sun 26-Jul-09 09:39:41

don't have credit card statement yet to hsow them

why am I worried about looking like a shoplifter when I am not??

cornsillk Sun 26-Jul-09 09:41:55

Was it online?

brimfull Sun 26-Jul-09 09:43:25

no bought in store

cornsillk Sun 26-Jul-09 09:46:25

Maybe wait for the credit card statement then? IMO M&S are a pain if you don't have the receipt I bought my mum a jumper which was too small and lost the receipt. She tried to exchange it but they said the price had changed to about £5 (had been about £20) and she couldn't have the amount on the label.

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 09:48:42

sure you can't find the receipt? Check in any old M & S bags, if you store them. Have a hunt about.

brimfull Sun 26-Jul-09 09:53:00

I think dh chucked the bag with the receipt out .

Will have a root round again though.

Maybe I'll give it to my mum .

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 09:55:31

well, you'll get the proof (credit card) in time, so maybe just wait a bit for that. You could check the M & S website to see how long you have to return it or even mail them about it if you like.

Daisypod Sun 26-Jul-09 09:57:58

I have taken stuff back without a receipt no problem, I always clearly have it in a bag as I walk in and go straight to customer services that way if challenged (which I never have been) I figure they could check the cctv.

But Cornsilk is right without a receit you can only get back what they are selling the item for at the time. Which I guess is fair enough as you cannot prove you brought it before the price dropped and if they gave you at the full price loads of people would take the piss with it.

GirlsAreLoud Sun 26-Jul-09 10:00:11

I would take it back and see what they say. I took something back to mothercare no receipt and it was fine, cost about £65 too.

CybilLiberty Sun 26-Jul-09 10:02:03

They will do a goodwill exchange for you but would not give you a refund. (They will look at the quality and cut of the clothes you are wearing and make their decision based on that)

shonaspurtle Sun 26-Jul-09 10:02:40

M&S are fine at exchanging without a receipt. Obv you won't get a refund, but if it's in resaleable condition then you shouldn't have a problem.

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 10:02:43

really? Is that insider knowledge?

I#ve never tried taking anything back without a receipt.

CybilLiberty Sun 26-Jul-09 10:03:30

Yes, most shops will do it. If it's an unwanted gift and they can resell it, it's fine

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 10:03:44

I mean that they decide based on the clothes you wear

brimfull Sun 26-Jul-09 10:03:53

<<adjusts her boden cardi>>

I want an exchange-quite happy with that

only cost £25

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 10:04:14

good to know

shonaspurtle Sun 26-Jul-09 10:04:55

And yes it's a goodwill thing - they don't know you're not a shoplifter but do probably decide whether to give it to you or not depending on how much your appearance screams "shoplifter" at them.

Thing is, shoplifters tend to want cash so exchanges are no good for them anyway.

CybilLiberty Sun 26-Jul-09 10:05:12

If you wear Boden you will be fine.

ZZZenAgain Sun 26-Jul-09 10:05:44

shoplifters would have to be total idiots surely to return the goods to the shop though

CybilLiberty Sun 26-Jul-09 10:05:50

Ooh lets all go shoplifting wearing our Boden cardies. They won't suspect a thing

CybilLiberty Sun 26-Jul-09 10:06:11

Shoplifters sell to get drugs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now