Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Fancy cameras. Recommend me a digital SLR.

(27 Posts)
Platesmasher Fri 24-Jul-09 20:52:19

Currently thinking Nikon D40 or D60.

Any experience/opinions.

I've wanted this for my entire adult life, and don't want to get it wrong.

What's good?

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 24-Jul-09 21:00:14

Message withdrawn

Catrace Fri 24-Jul-09 21:05:59

I will ask DH, he is a Nikon D70 owner. I very nearly bought a D40 for myself from a chap at work, it's what I would call an entry level DSLR, he was selling as he wanted more features having become more expert in photography. It was a lovely camera though and the pictures he'd taken on it were stunning. I still quite fancy one (mentally adds to 40th birthday present list).

Platesmasher Fri 24-Jul-09 21:06:34

I want to be able to take close up pics of my mosaics that I can have enlargements made of. Once the mosaics are sold, the photo's are my only record and I like to have prints framed for my walls.

I also want to take pics on the kids and of DH in cycling races.

Platesmasher Fri 24-Jul-09 21:07:48

I borrowed a D40 the other week and was impressed. My only concern was that it's only 6 megapixels, so i don't know if enlargements would be as good on that one.

The D60 has 10 i think.

LeonieSoSleepy Fri 24-Jul-09 21:26:53

Message withdrawn

Catrace Fri 24-Jul-09 21:49:36

Absolutely. I don't think the mpx is a deal of difference. My compact camera has 6 megapix same as DH's Nikon and the pictures are not in the same league.

If you think about it in the days of film you would put the same Kodak film in a point and shoot camera, and in a SLR but you wouldn't expect the same picture quality because it depends much more on the lens.

Platesmasher Sat 25-Jul-09 09:14:39

so anybody got the D60 or above?

Platesmasher Mon 27-Jul-09 12:24:21

any experience of the canon D450?

scattykatty Mon 27-Jul-09 14:12:12

I have the Canon EOS 450d if that it what you mean? I love it, but it comes with a really crappy lense so need to upgrade to a better one. My sis had 40d but that is far to big for me to just carry around (she's a photography student tho!)

PortAndLemon Mon 27-Jul-09 14:29:19

If you have a limited budget then spend more on a good lens and less on the camera. Once you have a reasonably good camera the lens will make more difference to your results than will the camera.

MuppetsMuggle Mon 27-Jul-09 14:32:05

We have a Nikon D40 and it is fantastic, the clarity of the snaps are fabulous.

this is my partners website - pics are taken using the D40

pics

MuppetsMuggle Mon 27-Jul-09 15:05:54

thread killer again hmm

Platesmasher Mon 27-Jul-09 18:02:35

sorry, not threadkilling, I had to get back to work.

The lens being crap is what i've read on most reviews of the Canon. That's really putting me off.

What lens would I need to make it better?

Platesmasher Mon 27-Jul-09 18:45:49

i'm thinking if the lens i would need for the Canon is expensive, I may be better to go with the equivalent price of nikon camera.

how much would the lens be? bearing in mind that the Imagestabilising technology is in the lens not the camera.

SameAsYou Mon 27-Jul-09 19:01:24

I had a D40 and had some amazing shots from this. I would reccomend this as a beginners camera for a first SLR.

I have just upgraded to D5000 as it does live streaming and have to admit that this has more megapixels and has better clarity.

If you are not going to blow photos up bigger than A4 you will be just fine

Platesmasher Mon 27-Jul-09 19:08:14

I am likely to blow pictures us bigger than A4.

Do you think the D5000 would do that ok?

PortAndLemon Mon 27-Jul-09 20:45:47

You could always go body only on either Canon or Nikon and then buy your own lens. In fact, ultimately you should probably aim to have more than one. What's your budget for camera + lens? I did some research into lenses for my BIL a couple of months ago and can look up what I told him. Do you need macro capability?

Ponders Mon 27-Jul-09 20:57:59

We have a D40, with the standard 18-55 lens, & a Fuji S5800 which has 8mp & 10x optical zoom, & surprisingly the pictures we take are of pretty much the same standard (this is ordinary photography, nothing special).

Tamron do a 18-250 lens for the D40 which would be a great addition but it costs more than the original outfit grin

BigGitDad Mon 27-Jul-09 21:09:26

At the risk o being a boring git (too late!). The statistic that amazed me is that when kodak stop producing the kodachrome (sp?) film, to get as good a digital image the camera would need to be 20 mega pixels. Not that you's notice on a snap shot but it shows that there is still a way to go.

Platesmasher Mon 27-Jul-09 21:16:00

My original budget was £500 but I'm falling for the D90 at £700.

I've just been on a camera forum who recommended some very nice lenses like you say ponders. But for now, the budget just isn't going to stretch that far.

I have my dad's old SLR in the loft. I'm going to dig it out and have a look at it again. Would be good if his old 80s fad lenses would be compatable, for old times sake.

I don't think i need macro. that's for tiny stuff right? the smallest mosaic pieces i use are around 25mm. so not that tiny.

thanks for the infor biggitdad. you old bore.

MilaMae Mon 27-Jul-09 22:14:27

I've got the D90 kit after loads of research. V pleased so far, still getting my head round it as not had it long. Got it from Amazon for quite a good price. When I've had it longer I'll be able to say more.grin

MerlinsBeard Mon 27-Jul-09 22:19:48

I have recently done LOTS of research on Canon Vs Nikon and which ones!!

I ended up having to choose between a D60 and D90 and on teh day had to go to with a D60 because of money issues. The only thing the 90 does over the 60 is it has live view (the screen at the back) and it can shoot HD video which i don't need either of!

At the end of the day is doesn't matter it doesn't matter how many pixels it has or how big your pictures can be blown up to etc if you take a shit picture it's going to look shit (to put it bluntly!!)

Fwiw i am a photographer and my most popular picture is one i took with a bridge dslr with no swanky lens (because its not changable!)

oysterpots Tue 28-Jul-09 09:38:01

I tried out a Nikon and a Canon before going for the Canon EOS 450D.

If you can, borrow one for a couple of days - I decided the DSLR bodies are much of a muchness (obviously you can buy the body only and whatever lens suits you) and it's really about what you feel comfortable with, what interface you find most intuitive and logical.

Whatever you decide, I'd recommend buying a UV filter or similar (they're about £5-10 and just screw onto the front) to prevent sticky fingers on the lens! Has saved my beloved camera

gagamama Tue 28-Jul-09 09:48:21

I bought my D60 about a year ago now, I love it and it takes stunning photos but I till haven't really got a clue how to get the most out of it. I was torn between that and the Canon EOS 450 - I was conviced I would go for the Canon, but once I actually held both cameras in my hands, I realised the Canon felt much bigger and heavier and I couldn't reach the shutter. The Nikon felt perfect, like it was a part of me. So don't just sit reading stats and reviews online, make sure you hold and play with the cameras.

I'm also ashamed to say that I threw my D60 lens-fist onto the floor of a car park in Mallorca - it's a bit dented and probably suffered some form of intricate and irrepairable damage, but it has actually lived to tell the tale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now