Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Renault Scenic or Citroen Xsara ?

(21 Posts)
suis Fri 24-Jul-09 09:10:26

Trying to choose... need a big boot and room for 3 car seats.. cheap to run but punchy to drive ? I know I'm asking too much but which do you think ?

bigstripeytiger Fri 24-Jul-09 09:13:03

I have the Xsara Picasso, and I really like it. It has a massive turning circle though, its a bit like driving a bus, but I dont know how the Scenic compares.

NervousNutty Fri 24-Jul-09 09:17:07

I started a tthread on here about Renault Scenics as I really really wanted one, but almost every poster said they were rubbish.

My dad has also said the same thing, as did the 3 mechanics in the garage he helps out in.

nicm Fri 24-Jul-09 10:05:18

NOT A RENAULT!!! i bought one from new 18k and is just 5 years old and is going to cost £1800 to fix the turbo(has already had 2 turbos replaced and numerous other problems/recalls) and 2 electric windows!! am debating what to do, as we don't have the money to fix it.

so unless you've loads of money and time to keep running to the garage get something else.

feetheart Fri 24-Jul-09 10:11:12

I'm with bigstripeytiger - love our Picasso (even with the turning circle grin) The boot is HUGE, certainly enough for 10 days camping in the UK for 4 of us and our enormous tent!!

Have had 3 car seats in the back too when carrying friends around.

Can't compare with the Scenic either as haven't had a go in one but if/when our Picasso dies I would definitely like another one.

GlastonburyGoddess Fri 24-Jul-09 10:18:22

picasso here too. love mine, have had it two yrs now and have done 50K in it, no problems with it at all up till now, now just needs a new exhaust.
huge boot, lots of cubby holes + compartments for storing stuff, back seats very comfy and 3 full sized-able to carry 3 child seats, not 2 and a half as in some cars. When ours dies(not for quite a while I hope!) I will def be getting the latest new model.
Im unsure about the turning circle, mine seems ok and nice to drive, but maybe it depends on how you drive it and how used to it you are-Ive had mine since passing test so am V used to the width/length of it etc and to me tis not like driving a bus lolwink

titchy Fri 24-Jul-09 10:20:54

Agree with the Renault comments. Have a 4 year old Scenic from new and had no end of problems with it. Turbo died within the first 6 weeks. Electric windows died. Recall notice on the seatbelt bearnings. New clutch and starter motor earlier this year. And now the electrics are playing up angry Unfortunatley most garages agree Renault are crap in terms of reliability. Wouldn't buy one again but sadly can't afford to replace it sad

walkthedinosaur Fri 24-Jul-09 10:26:07

Yeah don't touch a Renault I can't wait to get rid of my Espace (hopefully now sold) but it's the most expensive car we have bought, is six years old and had cost nearly £10,000 in repairs over the last four years to keep it on the road. I hate that fecking car. My friends have the Citroen and love it, never let them down once. Steer well clear from Renault!

midnightexpress Fri 24-Jul-09 10:27:38

Well I wouldn't call the Picasso 'punchy' in any way grin, and I'm not sure how cheap it is on petrol, but I'm pretty happy with ours. The only things I don't like about it are the fact that it sort of bulges out in the middle, which makes it difficult to judge distances from the kerb when parking I find. Also, you get a lot of glare on the windscreen in the middle of the day because of the large top to the dashboard. But mechanically we haven't had any problems with it (it's about 5 years old), and it has masses of boot space.

Now, if budget is not an issue I love the look of the C8 (I think it is) - the bigger Citroen, with the slidy side door. I think it's a 7-seater, but if you only have one row of seats in there is oooooodles of space in the back.

midnightexpress Fri 24-Jul-09 10:29:37

Or a Ford C-Max. They are really punchy to drive - we hired the Zetec 7-seater when we took both grannies on hols with us <halo emoticon> and it was fantastic. I'd love one of them. Again, if you only had one row of seats it would have stacks of boot space. Don't know if you can get 3 car seats in though.

LadyOfWaffle Fri 24-Jul-09 10:32:59

Picasso has a tough driving position. I would go with a ford Cmax or Smax, definatly.

Lilymaid Fri 24-Jul-09 10:47:28

We have had excellent experience with both our Scenics and can definitely recommend the 1.5 Diesel model which is very nippy and does over 60 mpg. We previously had an old style Scenic for 9 years and found it reliable.
Have a look at Honest John's reviews to get a good idea of the pros and cons of each car.

SausageRocket Fri 24-Jul-09 10:48:36

neither, especially not a scenic. tHEY ARE APPALLING.

tryingtobemarypoppins Fri 24-Jul-09 10:52:10

I love my senic.........picasso looks like lego to me!

LIZS Fri 24-Jul-09 10:54:31

We've had a couple of Scenics and not sure I 'd get another. Lots of things to like (space and versatility as well as not feeling like a bus to drive) but French cars generally are expensive to maintain and they are certainly no exception, several common faults too. How about a Toyota Verso or Mazda (5 I think)?

SausageRocket Fri 24-Jul-09 10:55:05

My scenic was a horrific money pit (3.5yo and fully maintained with low mileage when I bought it). I would never, ever buy another French car. Never.

shouldweorshouldntwe Fri 24-Jul-09 11:02:39

Our Renault cost us loads in repairs.

suis Fri 24-Jul-09 17:04:13

Thank you to everyone for their help... and I have now bought....

.... a Picasso.... handled really nicely and I got a better deal on the price from a wee local dealership up the road.. v pleased with my purchase

herbietea Fri 24-Jul-09 17:08:46

Message withdrawn

suis Fri 24-Jul-09 17:25:04

It's a 2.0 diesl Herbie... though not too noisy or anything, I just felt quite at home driving it

herbietea Fri 24-Jul-09 18:38:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now