Talk

Advanced search

Silver Cross 3D - does it fit on London buses?

(13 Posts)
pasturesnew Thu 23-Jul-09 11:29:47

My grandma would like to buy us a Silver Cross 3D for baby due next month - I like that newborns can lie flat in it but am concerned that its wheel base may be too wide for London buses where another buggy is already on the bus - any experience of this please? I am also concerned by reviews of the chassis breaking as this is what happened to our last newborn buggy (Petite Star, they don't make them any more).

Thanks

ChildOfThe70s Fri 24-Jul-09 10:14:07

Depends on the bus I think! Some of the smaller single deckers have nice wide spaces for wheelchairs and buggies, but some of the double deckers are a squeeze. I would check out other options personally - there are lots of buggies that fold down flat.

pasturesnew Fri 24-Jul-09 20:46:34

Thanks, the MacLaren XT deffo fits in the space in the double deckers alongside other buggies so I never have to fold it, was hoping to find something for a newborn that I could just slot in too.

wifeofdoom Fri 24-Jul-09 20:53:18

No it doesn't - I tried!

PrincessToadstool Fri 24-Jul-09 20:55:29

What about a bugaboo bee?

I want to say I hated the 3D but I have happy memories of my DS as a baby in it, but it seemed heavy and bulky very quickly, I'd get something lighter at least.

Wonderstuff Fri 24-Jul-09 21:09:35

I loved my 3D when dd was tiny, and got a lighter pushchair when she was about 6months. It did get heavy, there is a nack to getting it up and down that the gps cant get the hang of, I use it occaisionally now (when dh accidently drives off with my other buggy) 21 months on and it has stopped going up without a fight, chassis has definitly broken/bent a bit.

We got it as the mothercare travel system didn't fit in our boot. 3D is much slimmer folded. Quinny and M&P have wider prams that baby will fit in for longer but i guess that makes them wider on buses. I have never had a prob with silver cross on a bus (dont drive so use a lot) but never taken it to london.

pasturesnew Fri 24-Jul-09 21:33:18

Thanks again. Quinny def too wide, my SIL came to London and bro nearly ended up having a fight on the bus with the complaining driver which is v uncharacteristic of him (my bro)!

Wonderstuff Fri 24-Jul-09 22:09:01

What about this?

pasturesnew Sat 25-Jul-09 21:49:00

That is interesting thank you Wonderstuff, I thought Petite Star didn't exist any more - maybe it was just the type of buggy we had. Think I'll e-mali Mothercare and ask about the wheel base width.

Nippersmum Tue 28-Jul-09 19:53:02

Hi. I take my silver cross on buses and trains and it is fine, unless it is really busy, but then the same applies for all buggy/prams then.
I have used it nearly every day and my ds is 21 months.
Sorry to cause confusion!
hth

pasturesnew Tue 28-Jul-09 21:45:29

Thanks Nippersmum, does it fit in the space next to the upright yellow bar on a London double decker or are you using other buses?

wobbegong Tue 28-Jul-09 22:36:53

I used a Maclaren from birth- some Maclaren styles go flatter than others and so you can use them with newborns. They come with cute little headrests so that tinies aren't wobbled around too much.

If there are three Maclarens we can all fit side by side on many London buses (the yellow bars are in slightly different places on different models of bus- not all identical).

But heaven help us if a Bugaboo (even a Bee) tries to get on. Total PITA. (DD has been on five different London buses today so I take these things very seriously!)

pasturesnew Wed 29-Jul-09 06:22:40

Thanks! Have found that the Maclaren XLR has a carrycot option as well as the headrest you mention so that is looking most promising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now