Talk

Advanced search

Stair Gate - Need advice, I think I need an extra tall one!

(6 Posts)
belinda31 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:43:57

Hello
Our boy is about to start crawling, in fact I think he just did it, and we need stair gates NOW. However, it's got to fit between a banister and the wall, and the banister is round until 1 metre off the ground, when it goes flat - so I am looking for a pressure fitted stair gate that is extra tall so that I can push the pressure bit against the flat bit of the banister rather than the round bit.

Alternatively, can anyone suggest anything different? I don't really want to screw anything into the banister or the wall, can the pressure bits go against a round banister or would they slip off all the time?

All tips gratefully received!

Thanks

FlamongoBongo Thu 23-Jul-09 09:45:31

Don't get one. We don't have stair gates, and have just worked hard on a) keeping them away from the stairs when we're not around (shut the door of the room they're in, for example) and b) supervising them when they do want to explore the stairs. Far safer that he learns to climb up and down stairs safely.

belinda31 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:45:48

And I meant to ask specifically, does anyone know of one which is extra tall?

belinda31 Thu 23-Jul-09 09:47:35

Well, we could do that but our flat is TINY and I would prefer him to be able to roam about a bit between the kitchen and the living room (stairs go up/down from in between the two rooms) and if I shut him in then he'd be in a minute space most of the time...

BertieBotts Thu 23-Jul-09 09:53:07

We got stairgates for the same reason. You need wall-fix ones really if it is for the top of the stairs as the pressure-fix ones have a bar across the bottom which is a tripping hazard. (Not a problem at the bottom of stairs though)

I don't think you could have a 1-metre gap either and all the fittings I have seen fit at the top and bottom. Is there nothing else to fix it to at all? What is past/behind the bannister, or is it open plan? Could you use something like a fireguard instead?

elvislives Thu 23-Jul-09 09:57:44

You can buy extra tall ones designed for dogs (lindam make them), but they are dearer than baby gates.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now