Talk

Advanced search

Tumble dryers, vented or condensor?

(15 Posts)
brightonlad Wed 22-Jul-09 22:25:35

The time has come to give up on line drying so we're trying to decide which tumble dryer to get. The place we'll be putting it is right by a manky old window I can easily put a hole in but my parents reckon I should still get a condenser dryer.
I've found a vented dryer made by hoover with an 8 kilo drum for £190 on commet so I reckon I can make a hole and not worry, anyone have any advice?

MyCatIsABiggerBastardThanYours Wed 22-Jul-09 22:27:13

Vented. My mum has had both and the condesnor takes ages longer. She'll be getting a vented one next time.

LadyOfWaffle Wed 22-Jul-09 22:27:47

vented

MrsBadger Wed 22-Jul-09 22:28:14

if at all possible get a vented one, they are much more efficient

if it backs on to an outside wall you could vent it straight out (get a louvred cover for the hole), which would look much better than going through the window

PavlovtheForgetfulCat Wed 22-Jul-09 22:28:54

If you are able to get a vented one, get that. we have a condenser and not only does it take time, but it actually uses water to dry the clothes hmm

EldonAve Wed 22-Jul-09 22:28:59

vented if possible
I have a cheapie white knight one

MummyDoIt Wed 22-Jul-09 22:30:02

I have a condensor one. It takes a 5kg load which takes about 100 minutes to dry. No idea how that compares to a vented one. The water tank thingy does fill up very quickly so you have to empty it every other load which is a real pain. I only ever use mine in the winter if I can't get things dried on the airer, to be honest.

McDreamy Wed 22-Jul-09 22:32:36

Condenser - can put it wherever you want. I empty the water about every 4 or 5th load. Doesn't take long to dry.

themoon Wed 22-Jul-09 22:32:57

Go for vented if you possibly can.

I have to have a condenser one and its only good for finishing off stuff that has come in off the line or been hanging around on clothes horse in the garage for a day.

LynetteScavo Wed 22-Jul-09 22:33:16

I have a Bosh condensor. I don't have to empty it that often (even though the instructions say to do it every losad)

I had to get a condenser at the time as there was no outside wall. Given the facts, I wold go for a vented one.

GwarchodwrPlant Wed 22-Jul-09 22:36:35

Condenser.

I've got one and its brill takes a huge load and doesn't take long at all to dry

You can get some that plumb the water straight out so you never need to empty them

only problem with it is it sometimes gets a bit noisy several times during the drying but if its in another room (like my utility) it doesn't really matter.

anothernamechangeyawn Wed 22-Jul-09 22:37:38

I'm very happy with my condensing dryer. I don't find emptying it a pain, plus you can re-use the water. It's the filters I find a complete pain, and that must be the same whatever type you have. That being said, if we'd been able to have a vented one we'd probably have got one.

ABetaDad Wed 22-Jul-09 22:47:34

Vented. Heat, hole in wall, pipe, simple to use. Bloke dryer.

ThingOne Thu 23-Jul-09 16:53:12

Vented if you can. I have a condenser as I had no choice in my last house. It is much slower than my mum's and I've been told they use more energy too.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Thu 23-Jul-09 18:00:10

I have a John Lewis condensing one. Very happy with it. Takes about an hour to do a standard load of washing. Needs emptying after every 2 loads but I don't find it a problem - goes straight into flower pots outside my garage door, about 2 feet from the dryer.

But I think a good condensor will cost a lot more than £190, so if price is a factor go with vented.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now