Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

door bouncers or walkers?

(19 Posts)
JanandDan Sat 21-May-05 20:05:47

hello

My ds is 6 months and is good at sitting up on his own. He isnt crawling or moving about yet, so only lasts about 10 mins on his back before he gets bored. I know bouncers and walkers arent meant to be good for babies but i was thinking it would be something to entertain him for a while - i wouldnt leave him in it all day!
But which is the better of the two evils!?

juicychops Sat 21-May-05 20:36:12

Why arnt bouncers good for babies? My ds has had one since he was 3 months and he absolutely loves it!! Id say a door bouncer. He is 4 1/2 months now.

LIZS Sat 21-May-05 20:51:45

Bit of a personal choice one, this !

Personally I don't like walkers. They need room to use them properly which most modern houses don't have, risk of squishing fingers agaisnt furntiture and walls, crashing into things, reaching stuff out of range before, tipping down uneven surfaces etc . They were banned in Canada I believe. Expensive for a limited life span. the static playcentres may be preferable but again you can only use them until they take their first steps.

We had a Tippitoes bouncer which both mine enjoyed and was somewhat less expensive. You do need to ensure it is secure on the door frame, that they can't swing into the doorposts and it is adjusted to the right level so they are not weight bearing the whole time. Also they need good neck control and should be in there no longer than 15-20mins at a time. I used to put some music on and they'd dance along!

WigWamBam Sat 21-May-05 20:57:26

Static play centres are good, like walkers, but they don't move. So they sit up and bounce in the seat, and play with the toys around the edge.

hana Sat 21-May-05 20:59:35

I'd go with a door bouncer, they take up less room than a walker. My dd ( 4 months) loves hers! I put a mirror nearby and she has a good stare at herself

Pinotmum Sat 21-May-05 21:00:45

My sanity ws saved by a door bouncer and I can't praise them enough.

JanandDan Sat 21-May-05 21:07:04

Thank you everyone! Door bouncer it is! Any particular brands good? I dont think ive seen tippitoes one anywhere. Where did you get yours from Lizs?

juicychops Sat 21-May-05 21:23:09

Mine is Lindam and it is really good...from Argos £25.00

bobbybob Sat 21-May-05 22:11:52

Jolly Jumper, very supportive. Don't get the ones that look like a cloth swing (I'm thinking Fisher Price one with Winnie the Pooh).

ninja Sat 21-May-05 22:25:27

Just to reinforce Wigwambam - stationery walkers - activity centres are great and most can be adapted for toddlers as well. You can leave a kid in one when you need the loo as well. A lot more versatile than a bouncer. Mine was one of my best ever buys

LIZS Sun 22-May-05 10:56:28

Think we got it from Toys'r Us but that was a few years ago , cost about £20 . Blooming Marvellous ( here ) still sell it amongst others.Tippitoes bouncer shown here . It is a fabric seat but very supportive.

blueteddy Sun 22-May-05 11:05:14

We had a door bouncer & a static play centre for both ds's & they were both wonderful!
The play centre was great & both ds's loved it.
It was a little tikes one & I used it until they were around 18 months, as it kept them in one place!
The door bouncer was a big hit too!
They both kept ds's entertained while I got on with other things.

blueteddy Sun 22-May-05 11:08:19

I would definitely NOT reccomend walkers though.
Just yesterday I was round a friends house & watched her 8 month old dd tip out of her walker & land on her head.
It was apparantly the second time she had done it that day.

JanandDan Sun 22-May-05 19:02:18

Thanks again for all of this - i hadnt even heard of a static play centre, but it sounds perfect, as does the bouncer. I feel another expensive trip to the baby websites coming on...

gingerbear Sun 22-May-05 19:05:52

lots of door bouncers for sale second hand on ebay and here (possibly).
I would buy second hand or borrow - you don't know if your baby will love or hate them??

Gobbledigook Sun 22-May-05 19:25:01

Borrowed a door bouncer and ds3 (8m) loves it - couldn't live without it.

Also borrowed a static centre and that's great too.

Would not have a walker though for reasons already said.

loulabelle222 Mon 23-May-05 16:20:40

my ds had a baby walker from Mamas and papas and it was fantastic he loved it. Not once did it tip it was v v stable. I didn't shut the kitchen door properly and he managed to open it. Past the door in the kitchen is a tiled step that leads down to bathroom and study and he went flying down the step,whilst i was screaming incase he tipped over and smashed his head in he was laughing as he got into the bathroom. They are great things to have to give your baby more independence but you have to have eyes like a rocket!

blueteddy Mon 23-May-05 16:27:51

I have a play centre that I no longer need!
I am in Kent, so probably live nowhere near you though!

scottishmumto1 Mon 23-May-05 18:12:51

my dd has a walker and she loves it, gives her loads of freedom. we have a big house so she has loads of room to roam around in. you do have to make sure nothing dangerous is in her reach. she loves pulling the cd'd out of the rack and the pool balls out of the pool table

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now