Talk

Advanced search

what would you buy your 3yo DS who loves to take things apart & rebuild them?

(26 Posts)
hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 16:26:18

DS is 3 (waiting for an ASD DX very technical and fascinated by deconstructing etc) he adores cars etc that have parts he can remove and put back (they arent intended to be removed, he works out how to do it) I was thinking of getting him something that would be a fun challenge for him, made to be taken apart & rebuilt but not too old for him IYKWIM. Anyone know what this could be?

GrapefruitMoon Wed 22-Jul-09 16:31:41

Elc used to do simple vehicles you could build yourself. Don't know if they still do them. Has he got Knex/ Duplo?

hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 16:33:07

sortry I dont know what knex is so no blush he has duplo but he really wants a car type thing, like to be a mechanic. He loves taking things that have a purpose apart. Although he likes building with bricks too but differently. I'll check out ELC! thanks!

Skedaddle Wed 22-Jul-09 16:37:02

Meccano do some things for younger children - my ds used to love them!

meccano

3seater Wed 22-Jul-09 16:40:14

wacky wigglers are meant for older children but may be suitable if an adult is around to supervise. They are good fun.

kdk Wed 22-Jul-09 16:45:49

ELC do a wonderful thing with nuts and bolts and bits and pieces which need to be bolted together to make a variety of ... well, things. Can also buy an extras pack to make more ...things ... my son, now 5, has had it for a couple of years and still loves it.

mslucy Wed 22-Jul-09 16:50:12

brio - lovely wooden track stuff.
you can keep adding bits to it forever and there's tons on ebay.
my son adores his and it's good solid stuff so it will still be in good nick for his little brother.

CarGirl Wed 22-Jul-09 16:53:48

hmmmm mini micro scooter people do something that looks great can't think what it's called though! will go hunt!

Marne Wed 22-Jul-09 16:56:24

Dd1 and dd2 (both ASD) like Kid K'nex, Lego, maccano and dd1 plays with something at school called Moblo (sp).

CarGirl Wed 22-Jul-09 16:57:32

mic o mic

www.micro-scooters.co.uk/catlist.php?cat=26

muffle Wed 22-Jul-09 17:02:25

There are some really good lego vehicles - we started to get proper lego for DS at 3 and it went down well so I think it's old enough.

If he likes to start with it complete, you could build it for him first.

cats07 Wed 22-Jul-09 19:08:38

my MiL got DS1 (4) a set from M&S; 3 vehicles which you take apart with a screwdriver and put back together again. He seems to like it. And DS2 can't wait to snack on the little screws. So 2 gifts in one really.

hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 21:00:08

cats07 LOL at 2 gifts in one grin

iheartdusty Wed 22-Jul-09 21:09:17

another MNer posted that she has given her son old cameras, torches, clocks etc to take to bits - get them from Freecycle or charity shops.

I might draw the line at an old clock for his birthday though smile

iheartdusty Wed 22-Jul-09 21:10:46

or what about a gears set

hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 21:35:02

iheartdusty that is a great idea, he has an old camera of mine and took apart his noddy remote control car. his 3rd bday is in 2 weeks we ended up getting him the mouse mill music box from bagpuss because he is obsessed with it. looking at the gears set now!

Dalrymps Wed 22-Jul-09 21:43:44

My ds has this it all comes apart and you have to rebuld it, all pieces join together magnetically.

hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 21:45:04

iheartdusty with this and this which is hard to picture as there is no um... picture do you build them then take them apart and I assume all the gears etc move?

hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 21:45:57

that thomas one looks good too!

iheartdusty Wed 22-Jul-09 21:52:13

yes, the gears sets consist of the flat bits and the cogs (and I think there are some connector bits too). You assemble them then take them apart and make different shapes. The gears move, and you can make them all move at once if you connect them up the right way (there is a simple rule for this but I forget what it is! Something like - has to be an odd number).

we have this one

picture of the farm set

there is also a monkey/jungle set available.

iheartdusty Wed 22-Jul-09 21:56:13

any good?

hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 22:00:09

ooh thank you!

so the farm one - it says it spins in a captivating way. I am really sorry to be so precise in my questioning but I've never seen one of these, I think they look fab and am just really excited on behalf of me DS! Do you push a button or something, I saw they sold a motor? Or does it spin if you actively turn something?

Either way I am going to get one for DS he will adore them. Am now going to work out how to pay for it because my cc is maxed out and wont be down to a decent balance til after payday but I want to get it for his bday (8 aug) I need to see if I can walk in somewhere and pay with cash. And which should I get, the farm and starter set or one or the other?

hereidrawtheline Wed 22-Jul-09 22:03:11

that is great but he has something similar, a black & decker tool bench with a truck you can take apart, we got it from a boot sale for £3! He loves it but I think he would like those gear things loads.

Lindax Wed 22-Jul-09 22:18:42

gears on youtube will give you an idea of what they do. I've never bought them, but always fancied them for ds.

blahdiblahblah Wed 22-Jul-09 22:23:21

automoblox are great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now