Talk

Advanced search

Is it true you can't use the BabyBjorn Active from birth?

(13 Posts)
CAM123 Wed 22-Jul-09 16:16:43

The blurb seems to say it's for 'from newborn' but a friend has said it's not appropriate till they can hold their heads up, and a fabric sling would be better initially. Is this the case?

thehairybabysmum Wed 22-Jul-09 16:30:26

I used mine from 3 weeks (had c/s) and it was fine. The fold up flap at the front needs to be in the up position to cradle the head.

Both mine tended to snuggle into my chest anyway in it.

There are people on here who claim that BB's are dangerous hmm.

Personally found mine fab.

thehairybabysmum Wed 22-Jul-09 16:34:23

that's meant to be a hmm by the way, but each to their own and all that!

FaintlyMacabre Wed 22-Jul-09 16:38:03

I've never used a BabyBjorn so can't comment on suitability, but I would just say that for less money you can get a BabyHawk. Much prettier and can be used from birth to age about 3, so much better value as well.

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 22-Jul-09 16:42:19

Used mine from the start.

Once they can hold their heads up they're too heavy to go in the things, ime.

FattipuffsandThinnifers Wed 22-Jul-09 16:47:36

Isn't it a weight thing? I seem to remember something about being over 8lbs (??), so perhaps this might be what your friend means, as obviously a newborn might weigh a lot less. I would trust what it says on the leaflet if it has come with one.

MoominMymbleandMy Wed 22-Jul-09 17:04:54

I've had a Baby Bjorn and a Baby Bjorn Active and I seem to remember they weren't supposed to be used before a baby is about a week old. But we weren't going anywhere at that point.

I certainly don't think they're dangerous and I think they're one of the better mass-produced makes but they do have limitations.

They don't last very long because they become uncomfortable for the wearer at around four to six months, as all the weight goes on to your shoulders, whereas other types will spread the weight to your hips and waist.

They also only allow you to carry the baby upright, so they aren't as versatile as a wrap sling, pouch or ring sling which allow various carrying positions.

The people who sell them don't generally have a clue about how they should be worn - high and snug. I always wince when I see parents with them dangling around their stomachs because it is going to hurt their backs.

And if you wear them with the baby facing outwards it may look cute, but it isn't supporting the baby's back, it's putting an extra strain on your back and the baby can't get away if the outside world gets too much for the moment.

They are also pretty expensive for the use you get out of them.

I wouldn't say don't use one but I would say make sure you wear it correctly and be aware it won't be comfortable for you for very long.

A fabric sling would be more versatile, would last longer and will hold its value better if you want to sell it when you've finished with it.

BertieBotts Wed 22-Jul-09 17:18:25

I would recommend a Wilkinet, Patapum, Babyhawk or Ergo rather than the baby bjorn. The reasoning for this is that the baby bjorn dangles the baby by their crotch which can put strain on their spine, especially if you are carrying them for long periods of time. The others hold the baby in a sitting down position (and provide more support for the parent's back as well) - just think which is more comfortable, sitting on a bicycle or a swing.

I would recommend a fabric sling overall wink but I understand that that's not for everyone, so if you are wanting a more modern looking one the ones I mentioned at the beginning of my post are good. Oh - or if you are looking for something you can buy in Mothercare etc, look at the napsack slings you can buy now.

cats07 Wed 22-Jul-09 17:28:00

I've used a Baby Bjorn, but boy was it uncomfortable after the baby got a little heavier. Much better was the wrap sling I bought (a Moby). Spent 1.5 days thinking 'I'll never get the hang of it', then months and months of ever-so-comfortable baby carrying!!!

Pruneurs Wed 22-Jul-09 17:30:55

There is a 'division' between people who see all slings as pretty much the same thing, and those who see a difference between, well, all slings and the BabyBjorn! It is not liked by sling-sellers. IME you can use it from birth just fine, a newborn fits very nicely into it and there is plenty of head support.

I think the BB is good because it is more 'acceptable' for men to use - which is a good thing. My dh would not have carried a baby around in a mei-tai, for example.

Loopymumsy Wed 22-Jul-09 17:46:53

Message withdrawn

mummyrex Wed 22-Jul-09 17:55:10

I used mine from birth and could I say it is wiorth every penny and more! I have used just about every sling going which while they look great they all gave me neck and back ache.

I used my BB from birth to about 9 or 10 months and could wear it all day without any problem, Both my DDs loved it too.

thehairybabysmum Wed 22-Jul-09 20:41:56

The wilkinet is no wear near as comfy to wear as teh BB IMO; the straps were quite narrow and dug into my shoulders.

Agree Pruners re bloke accaptability.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now