Talk

Advanced search

Problems with Ergo Baby Carrier

(10 Posts)
Yarnie Wed 22-Jul-09 14:17:01

Hi all

I have just received my new Ergo baby carrier and I have a few issues with it. Can anyone help?

I tried my 4 month old son in it (7.5kg) and he seems uncomfortable with his legs splayed around my middle in the front carrier position.

I tried him with both legs out to one side in the infant position, but he's too chunky to be comfortable like this.

Is it possible that I'm doing something wrong, or are there any other positions I haven't considered?

Perhaps a big boy with short legs is just incompatible with the carrier.

Thanks!

ZoeC Wed 22-Jul-09 14:18:17

I would guess he is probably just at an awkward 'in-between' size iyswim and will grow back into it better soon. Dd was 5 months when I started using it for her and she was fine.

Yarnie Wed 22-Jul-09 14:32:00

ZoeC You may well be right.

It's so frustrating. He is too heavy for our Baby Bjorn (I get terrible shoulder/back ache with it now) and he hates being harnessed into anything that isn't attached to me, so buggies are instruments of torture to him(!)

I think I'm going to have a difficult month or so until he grows into it hmm

HolidaysQueen Wed 22-Jul-09 14:42:29

I didn't start using it until DS was 8mo and he has been fine, so maybe it is just a size thing. I hope that is it as the ergo is wonderful - use it all the time with my 15mo and I find it comfier than our framed carrier for long walks!

Do you carry him on your hip around the house? If he is comfy like that, it is a very similar position so you may find you don't quite have him in teh right position. Do you jiggle him down in it (literally jiggle around when you have him in it) so that his bum is lower than his knees and sat right in the carrier? That is the position he is meant to be in, but I find it does require some jiggling!

anniemac Wed 22-Jul-09 14:46:57

Message withdrawn

Yarnie Wed 22-Jul-09 15:06:09

I don't have the infant insert. My son has very good head control and is quite big for his age (75th percentile). I do suspect his legs aren't quite long enough to be splayed around me.

Thanks for the positioning tips HolidaysQueen. I shall bear them in mind when he gets a bit bigger.

Yarnie Wed 22-Jul-09 15:34:52

Oh, and HolidaysQueen, I don't carry my LO around the house on my hip, for exactly the same reason - his legs don't seem quite long enough to have any purchase on me!

AnnieLobeseder Wed 22-Jul-09 15:37:46

Maybe try the side carry for a while, since then his legs go around your side, which should be narrower than your back. I've had no trouble carrying either of mine at any age... you'd be amazed at how comfortable babies are with their legs completely splayed! They're bendy little critters! Did your DS seem uncomfy? Could be you're just used to the "legs together" setup of the Baby Bjorn and the Ergo position just seems strange since it's so very different.

Loopymumsy Wed 22-Jul-09 17:54:40

Message withdrawn

missusp Thu 23-Jul-09 11:24:10

I love my ergo.
DD was about 5 months when i got it and she settled in the front really easily. Second what Loopymumsy says about get straight out walking. The motion will help your DS wriggle right down so his bum is lower than knees and help him settle.
Please persevere cos i think this is one of the best carriers around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now