Talk

Advanced search

Scooter/trike for a 2.8 year old

(22 Posts)
shonaspurtle Tue 21-Jul-09 21:28:21

I'm feeling a bit guilty that ds hasn't got anything like this.

The situation is that we live in a flat, have little room or storage space, 3 flights of stairs and no garden. However we do spend a lot of time in the very nearby park.

So, I'm thinking that ds would enjoy having a scooter or a trike to trundle about in the park with and that if we're going to get one we might as well now rather than wait for his birthday in November.

Would appreciate your recommendations for one that:

1)Doesn't take up too much space - if it could live in the boot of a Clio that would be a bonus
2)Is easy to carry/push about for when he gets bored
3)Is pretty cheap. Max budget probably £30

Thanks in advance smile

accessorizequeen Tue 21-Jul-09 22:56:46

Why don't you have a look at the reviews on MN - Scooters and Trikes. Depends on your ds but mine couldn't ride a trike until he was nearly 4 (it's something to do with the angle of the seat I think) although he loved being pushed about so the comfort of the parent handle fairly important & being able to take it off easily too! We took ours to the park in the boot all the time. Not sure if 3 wheel scooters fold, but you could definitley pick up one for under £30.

madamy Tue 21-Jul-09 23:08:52

The mini micro is fabulous, but quite a bit over budget. We got our for dd2 when she was 2.8 and she was whizzing along in no time at all. They are much lower to the ground than cheaper scooters so easier for little ones.

I don't know what this would be like - looks similar and cheaper.

shonaspurtle Tue 21-Jul-09 23:46:41

Ah yes, this site does have stuff other than talk doesn't it..blush

Madamy, the Mini Micro got the Mumsnet Best in the product reviews too. Had a look on eBay but they seem to sell for about the same secondhand. Might be worth it though if it'll last for a good few years but will probably hang on for birthday if we go for it.

Will look at the other reviews.

Accessorize, just thought that my nephew doesn't pedal his trike yet either at 3.5 so scooter may be the way to go and smaller.

Thanks!

trixymalixy Tue 21-Jul-09 23:52:09

We've just bought DS the mini micro scooter as a present from the new baby. He had a go on a friend's first, it seems pretty good although expensive.

trixymalixy Tue 21-Jul-09 23:55:26

If you are looking for a trike that is easy to pedal Ds has the Kettler one on the review pages and can pedal it himself at 2.5.

He can't pedal the trikes my DM and DPIL have at their houses, so it's the trike that's good not his pedalling ability.

We bought it 2nd hand though for £10.

shonaspurtle Wed 22-Jul-09 00:00:55

Hi trixy! How are you?

Secondhand is a good point actually. I'm getting quite sold on the mini micro though, particularly because of boot potential.

trixymalixy Wed 22-Jul-09 09:42:16

Good thanks! Thought Dc2 was arriving 2 weeks early the night before last as was having contractions in the middle of the night. False alarm though which was a relief as we have 3 separate lots of workmen in the house this week finishing stuff off!

Plus I could do with a couple more weeks to chill and prepare myself!

trixymalixy Wed 22-Jul-09 09:44:11

The micro mini was a bit more than i wanted to spend as well, but didn't want to waste money buying one that he couldn't use for ages.

sleepwhenidie Wed 22-Jul-09 09:49:16

Mini micro seems expensive but it is worth every penny. DS has had his since he was just 2, he is now almost 4 and showing no sign of being bored with it, he rides it every time we go out (most days), in preference to his likeabike, to nursery/park/shops while I walk with DD in buggy, it makes journeys much faster than if he is walking! I also think it has been fantastic for his balance and spatial awareness, can't recommend it enough. Thinking of upgrading soon to the bigger one they do.

shonaspurtle Wed 22-Jul-09 11:51:55

Am sold on the Mini Micro. grin

Does anyone know if the handle comes off for storage? On their site there's a pic of one with the handle off. That would be very useful for us.

Will have a look in JL at the weekend anyway.

Thinking of you trixy - hope it all goes smoothly!

IdrisTheDragon Wed 22-Jul-09 11:58:18

The mini micro's handle doesn't come off (or if it does I haven't noticed yet!) but we have two in the boot of a VW golf at the moment and could fit loads more in.

It's great - took DD a little while to be able to reliably steer and scoot but now she's got it, she's off grin.

It's very light as well so you can carry one (or two) easily along with other paraphernalia smile

Astrophe Wed 22-Jul-09 12:05:06

mini micro's handle does come off - it unclips at the base (doesn't fold, but comes right off).

They are fabulous, mini micros.

feetheart Wed 22-Jul-09 12:07:55

Didn't think the handle came off but friend turned up with her DS's with handle off last week. Still have to see what to do - DS got his for his 2nd birthday and is now 3.8 blush
Completely agree with sleepwhenidie - definitely best present ever.

Astrophe Wed 22-Jul-09 12:12:00

feetheart, there is a little clip, black I think, right at the base of the silver vertical post. You push that in, and pull the handle up. Just make sure the clip goes 'click' when you put it back together, so it doesn't come apart whilst your LO is scooting.

Didn't yours come in two peices int eh box, when you bought it? You just take it apart again really.

IdrisTheDragon Wed 22-Jul-09 12:20:08

Thinking about it we did put them together. So obviously they must come apart blush

feetheart Wed 22-Jul-09 12:21:30

Astrophe - thank you. Can't actually see it but will challenge DH when he gets home smile
Not really that bothered as I don't have to carry it much, usually too busy running to keep up!

shonaspurtle - if you do get one and you have regular routes have a few 'stopping places' along the way so DS doesn't get too far ahead. Either that or get some VERY good trainers grin

Astrophe Thu 23-Jul-09 07:46:16

feetheart and idris - sorry I tricked you (accidentally) - the clip is underneath - just checked.

feetheart Thu 23-Jul-09 07:58:16

Did look there too but couldn't see it - still intend to challenge DH just for the entertainment value grin

onelittlelion Thu 23-Jul-09 09:45:08

Mini Micro's are fab!! Best thing we bought ds. He has been whizzing round on is since he was about 2.5.

The parts are replaceable too my friends sd is never off his and has worn out the brake and they are sending a replacement etc

Jojo selll them and there's a ten percent off mnet code and free delivery too. Not sure if that's the cheapest works out £42 I think.

shonaspurtle Thu 23-Jul-09 20:10:19

Ds has his mini micro and has been whizzing about the flat since we got back from the shops! He says it's his favourite toy now (sorry garage).

I had a couple of unwise JL sale purchases that I needed to take back so just exchanged for the scooter and will gloss over the blown budget wink.

That's the problem with having a November birthday. It's all very well thinking that we should leave biggish toys for Christmas/birthday when we're getting asked for ideas by gps, but as ds has the two occasions within 6 weeks of each other that leaves a rather long rest of the year...

Off to the park tomorrow am to try it out properly - thanks for all your advice!

(and yes, the little orange wedge that clicks into place to fasten the handle shaft on can be pressed in again to remove it, but the scooter is small enough go in the boot fine as it is)

trixymalixy Thu 23-Jul-09 20:36:46

Good, I hope DS likes his too.

It is a nightmare having birthdays close to Xmas. We bought DS a playhouse for the garden which is really his main Xmas present, just 6 months too early!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now