Talk

Advanced search

Advice re HighChairs

(14 Posts)
TittyB Tue 21-Jul-09 17:22:49

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a High Chair for my son and really like the look of the Tripp Trapp although my partner feels it is a little bit heavy on the price.

To compromise i have been looking at alternatives with the BabyDan and Cosatto Toast being favoured the most.

The BabyDan i have been able to find reviews on but nothing for the Cosatto Toast, and although i like the BabyDan i would prefer an option to have a tray and would ideally like a High Chair with a 5 point harness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Loopymumsy Tue 21-Jul-09 18:00:58

Message withdrawn

hairtwiddler Tue 21-Jul-09 18:05:38

Ikea antilop. Cheapest of the lot, does the job, and is fab. No five point harness, but baby couldn't get out with tray on and strapped in.
Don't get anything with complicated straps or padded bits, they get encrusted with food.

hana Tue 21-Jul-09 18:06:25

I would go for the tripptrapp (we have 3) they have been excellent value for money, our 7 year old is still using hers. I am sitting on it now!
there are multitudes on the pros and cons of tripptrapps on this site. people seem to be evenly split I think!

ButterbeerAndLemon Tue 21-Jul-09 18:51:35

Get the Ikea Antilop. Really. We didn't and were seduced by fancy features and twiddly bits and I so regret it (my mother has an Antilop so have used it there). The Antilop is FAB. It has no nooks or crannies for food to get stuck. It can be easily washed (you could stick it in the shower and hose it down). It looks inoffensive. And it is cheap.

Daisypod Tue 21-Jul-09 19:21:04

Sorry to disagee but we had the Antilop and I hated it. Yes it is very easy to clean but by a year old all three of my children had outgrown it and it is also very big and not at all easy to store. I ended up buying a much better foldable one and took the Antilop one to my mums.

cats07 Tue 21-Jul-09 19:21:13

I'm evenly split between the Tripp Trapp, which our 7 and 5 year olds use, and the Ikea Antilop, which our 13 month old uses.

I like using the Ikea one just now because it is so easy to clean and the tray stops more of the food going on the floor, but I reckon in a few more months he'll move up to a TT, and DS will have to sit on a proper chair. The TTs are great all the way through, but I reckon they really come into their own when LOs want to start doing craft and stuff at the table. And I think they help stop them fidgeting and getting up and down from the table (DS3 will now prove me wrong no doubt).

Don't know much about the other ones you mentioned, but I would also be influenced by which ones you like the look of - you might have this piece of furniture around for the next 10 years!!

CMOTdibbler Tue 21-Jul-09 21:07:47

We have a TT, plus an Antliop for visitors. I haven't tried DS(3) in the Antilop for a while, but at 2.5 (and he isn't small) he still fitted in it without the tray on (it pulls up to the table without it on), and our normal visiting child is nearly 3 and fits in with no problem.

Our TT is in daily use, both to sit to the table, and as a handy step system for DS to stand at the kitchen counter and cook. It is incredibly solid, and I think is well worth the money.

moomaa Tue 21-Jul-09 21:12:13

Depends how much money you have, I have friends who found Tripp Trapps useless for small children and all 2 year olds I know and a lot of one year olds are just using normal chairs or boosters because they want to use a 'big chair'.

I got an expensive high chair, and yes it was nice but a waste of money as we subsequently bought a cheapo all plastic one from Argos to use in the garden (same price as IKEA one once you add the tray on) and that is pretty good.

moomaa Tue 21-Jul-09 21:13:37

To properly answer you, yes I think you need a tray to contain mess (if you are going to let them feed themself) and if your baby is small I think you need a 5 point harness.

TittyB Wed 22-Jul-09 08:42:54

Thanks for all your advice, its amazing how something so simple can cause so many headaches.

I am looking at the bigger picture which is why i felt the TT would be good value for money long term.

MrsBadger Wed 22-Jul-09 08:56:01

re 5-point harness, if you buy a set of basic reins they come with loops that can attach the harness to any high chair

we love the TT, esp as it has to live out in the middle of our kitchen and we see it all day every day.
DD (nearly 2) thinks it is a 'big chair' since we took the bar off and let her climb in and out herself.

get MIL to buy it as a present for ds? wink

Hulababy Wed 22-Jul-09 08:59:02

We have a TT. Got it when DD was 5 months old and it has been used regularly for the past 6.5 years and is still going strng. It is now in chair mode obviously. But it still looks in excellent condition and it still looks good.

I never wanted a tray as we wanted DD sat at the table with us.

Yes, the TT is expensive to start with, but considering how much use it has had and long it has lasted then the day to day cost is worht it IMO.

plusonemore Wed 22-Jul-09 09:19:01

we have the obaby megan which is also a cheaper copy of TT here or here under 50 quid and its fab, i love it. ds2 is really comfy in it at 9months, went straight into it at 51/2 ish months (need to be sitting up really) and it will grow with him. was tempted to buy another for ds1!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now