Talk

Advanced search

Opinions on Maclaren Techno XLR please?

(12 Posts)
alana39 Mon 20-Jul-09 16:50:37

I think I have finally decided this is the pushchair for DC3 (mainly sold by it being lightweight and having the softish carrycot as I won't be getting moses basket, plus I know that after a few months they'd probably be in my trashed old Maclaren Triumph so may as well get them a nicer version) - but would be interested to hear opinions of people who have already tried it as I trust MN reviews more than the ones on seller's websites!

I think the only thing holding me back is that I've always thought of Maclaren as making buggies, rather than proper pushchairs for newborns. Won't be getting a car seat that goes on as have 2 already, just the pushchair and carrycot.

Thanks

sammysamsam Mon 20-Jul-09 16:57:13

i dont really like it as its MASSIVE- really wide, not 'that' lightweight..and folds really bulky too... i love the xt though..

sammysamsam Mon 20-Jul-09 16:57:14

i dont really like it as its MASSIVE- really wide, not 'that' lightweight..and folds really bulky too... i love the xt though..

SpookyMadMummy Mon 20-Jul-09 17:18:24

I have one.
Dd3 is 15 weeks. I haven't got the carrycot so can't offer an opinion on that, but she uses it in pushchair mode. It is a bulky fold, a light push and does feel unstable as Dd is still so small (about 12lbs).
Its great if you are tall. I am 5'7 and its a comfortable height for me. It is wider than usual Maclarens. The basket is rubbish though. When the seat is flat there is no way you are gonna get anything in it.
If you put a bag over the handles it feels like it is going to tip back too at baby stage.
The covers are nice though - suede feel to them - and lots of ways to have them. Instead of a cosytoes it has a 'boot' which looks nice, although obv, I have not tried it yet.
The hood has an extra unzip compartment to the hood can be pulled right over the child to create an inbuilt sunshade which I thought was handy and there are 2 pockets on the back instead of the usual one.
Raincover is the usual Mac fitting, it goes on the little metal pegs and it covers the boggy well.
So, bit of a mixed bag there. Some good stuff and some not so good. Have a trip to Mothercare and have a push of one and see how you like it. HTH

SpookyMadMummy Mon 20-Jul-09 17:19:28

Boggy hmm Buggy.

PrefetParfait Mon 20-Jul-09 17:20:12

Go for the XT instead and buy a seperate Moses basket.

I think the XLR is buly and heavy comparef to teh XT. Newborns don't need a basinette style pram. Just use a foot muff.

Kittenpaws Mon 20-Jul-09 21:26:40

I have one - bought it to use with the car seat - heavier than a normal XT but useful as car seat attaches - don't have the carrycot bit. To be honest wouldn't have used it for a newborn without the carseat (we have a phil and teds) that we use most of the time) as feels a bit exposed but thats the same of any maclaren

maxybrown Mon 20-Jul-09 23:48:53

I love mine, but couldn't imagine using it for a newborn....but mainly because I like a proper pram for a baby. i guess I just see macs for toddlers, but I love the XLR because it has more substance to it, all the others feel too flimsy!

scattykatty Tue 21-Jul-09 11:30:27

I have one but I certainly wouldn't use it full time for a newborn. I agree with Maxy that you need a proper pram for the 1st 6 months. It is very big for a stroller too.

tostaky Tue 21-Jul-09 14:17:16

xt all the way and as long as you add some padding to the back seat it is fine for a newborn (fine for mine at least)

xandrarama Wed 22-Jul-09 11:31:09

I really like my XLR although it's the first and only pushchair I've used, so hard to compare with anything else. The rest of my antenatal group have Bugaboos and when I watch them struggling to get on the bus, I'm always glad I've got the Maclaren! I've found it easy to push but not flimsy-feeling, and easy to manoeuvre around shops and public transport.

I used the carseat attached to the stroller for the first 6 months, but the carrycot looks even better.

nicolamumof3 Wed 22-Jul-09 12:09:02

i hated my xlr, far too big and bulky, too high too heavy for what it is (a stroller) i wouldn't put a newborn in one, but thats because like maxy i like them in proper carrycot

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now