Talk

Advanced search

Three wheeler buggy help, please!

(17 Posts)
Marvin Sun 19-Jul-09 03:02:09

I need to buy a new buggy for our school 'run' (well, school brisk walk)....
three wheeler, decent for off-road, with swivel wheel
will take kiddy board / buggy board for just 4 yr old
big enough for 2 yr old with growing room (we walk 3 miles twice a day!)
pref lightweight and relatively compact folded, reasonably easily adjustable seat back recline, good raincover.

I am considering out'n'about nipper, or baby jogger city classic, or mothercare urban detour.

any comments or other suggestions ....

many, many thanks.

esselle Sun 19-Jul-09 03:20:51

I have a mothercare Urban Detour which would tick all of the boxes. I love it. But I am not sure if you can get a buggy board for it and it isn't very compact(or light) when folded.

I have used mine for DD (now 4yo) and DS(now 19mo) and it is great to push - very easy! DD sits on the foot rest bit if she wants to have a break when we are walking.

TeaandCake Sun 19-Jul-09 10:10:35

You need a Mountain Buggy Urban. 6 miles a day is pretty heavy use so you need the best build quality available.

MB is one of the few built strong enough to take a Kiddy Board/Buggy Board and not invalidate the 3 year warranty.

It ticks all your other boxes except the compact fold one but then none of the others on your list fold down v small anyway. Unfortunately 3 wheeled walking buggies are all a bit bigger when folded, you can't have it both ways!

AvadaKedavra Sun 19-Jul-09 10:13:57

BJ and Nipper are flat folds so while not entirely compact means you could stash behind the sofa or something. Have had a Nipper and a BJ city mini rather than the classic, but either of those would fit the bill and far more prefereable over a Mothercare pushchair!

Celery Sun 19-Jul-09 10:15:22

Nipper, fab.

frogmarsh Sun 19-Jul-09 10:18:57

I vote for the nipper too. It is fab, really light weight, easy to fold (quite compact when folded, especially if you pop the back wheels off) and lovely to push over any surface.

Marvin Sun 19-Jul-09 15:05:41

Teaandcake - unfortunately, I'm not sure I can find the ££ for a mountain buggy, though I am tempted.

The BJ city mini looked like the wheels were too small for good off-road terrain use (rough paths and grassy fields).

Has anyone fitted a kiddyboard to a nipper or baby jogger? Also, do these have similar length so the 2-yr old doesn't outgrow it? I think realistically I'm between these two. Similar pricing at Kiddicare.

Many thanks - any more advice? I'm going to ahve to buy it unseen, whatever I get.

Marvin Sun 19-Jul-09 15:23:34

Oh - and if you were to choose between a nipper and a baby jogger, which?

maxybrown Mon 20-Jul-09 08:23:14

Nipper definitely. It DOES fold compactly as you can remove the wheels quickly. We got one for our camper van as it folds down neatly and vv light. (we have fixed wheel and I use it around town on bus too...love love love it)

Nicolamumof3 had Nipper with buggy board and said it was fab, was one that worked best she said. She had the newer 360 swivel version. I don't know how this handles terrain though? For me, the fixed wheel is much better and I never have trouble getting around shops or anything with it.

Marvin Mon 20-Jul-09 15:23:03

thanks. I had a fixed wheel 3-wheeler previously and it drove me mad on roads etc. I've also used a swivel wheel on the sort of terrain we do, and it's been OK - I'm not usually marching across ploughed fields or up mountains (well, I put him in a backpack if I am).
Does the nipper have room for length of back and legs of a - say - 3.5 yr old for the future?

amidaiwish Mon 20-Jul-09 15:28:49

i bought a nipper in March this year for DD2 who is 4 in october. purely for school run/brisk walk!
was going to put buggyboard on for DD1 but she is actually pretty good on the scooter so never bothered with buggyboard. you need extenders for the buggyboard to attach.

i don't think it folds very compactly, but i might not be doing it right! i just leave it in hallway.

very happy with it generally. plenty big enough. DD1 gets in it sometimes if tired and she is 5.5!

the recline is unusual as it is a clip unfasten, so if closed is upright, if open is flat. you can adjust it by adjusting the straps but it isn't a multi-level recline IYKWIM.

maxybrown Mon 20-Jul-09 15:54:31

If you set the strap at different levels then it is a multi recline!! You could keep it fastened but just adjust the strap if that makes sense?

Fixed wheel doesn't bother me in slightest, I manage bus and shops with it fine, in fact I end up using that over thr Macalren even for town, but I know that for me, hitting a rock going over a cliff path etc would drive me nuts with swivel, so prefer fixed for what we use it for. At just under 5ft and a dodgy shoulder, I got rid of backpack for carrying him....urgh!!

I know Nicola's lad was older than mine but bigger and she said fine. Also said it was fine for her almost 4 year old. It is so so light. I love them anyway. Mine folds basically flat with wheels off, fab for our camper van anyway, sneaking in small places!

amidaiwish Mon 20-Jul-09 16:37:53

yes but adjusting the strap isn't as easy as letting it down to level 1, 2 or 3 as in my other pushchair (M&P Pliko). fine for my 3 year old as i don't recline it anyway, but for a young toddler i think it would be a faff. relatively.

maxybrown Mon 20-Jul-09 17:29:20

Ah mine is 22 months and no problem with it, but generally he is up or down in it so easy. I just meant should you wish to have it set at different levels then you can!

Marvin Mon 20-Jul-09 22:03:38

bump for any other views, before I buy ....

Marvin Tue 21-Jul-09 20:44:27

findal cheeky bumpette: anyone experience of baby jogger classic?

fruitymum Tue 21-Jul-09 20:52:46

have you looked at the Jane pro slalom? I have one - used it loads for DD, now 3 , with the matrix seat then as a buggy and plan to use it for next baby due in 3 weeks, adding a buggy board for DD. It has a swivel front wheel , very easy to manouvre on and off road, forrest tracks etc, easy tofold up but not that compact.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now