Talk

Advanced search

Good website for cameras?

(33 Posts)
Millie1 Fri 20-May-05 15:20:16

I've had a quick search through the archives but can't find what I'm after ... there's a website which has been recommended many times for good deals on digital cameras. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

starshaker Fri 20-May-05 15:27:24

i bought mine in boots its a fuji q1 its really good and only cost £60

hunkermunker Fri 20-May-05 15:33:33

Pixmania are good (and if you do a search for pixmania promotional code on google, you'll find a code that gives you a tenner off - just change the last two digits to the month you order in )

DO NOT touch internetcamerasdirect with a bargepole. They took my money without even knowing they could get me my camera, and were arrogant, rude and unhelpful. An unpleasant experience dealing with them.

Millie1 Fri 20-May-05 15:37:34

Thanks! Pixmania was who I was thinking off - thanks for tip re Internetcamerasdirect HM - have just been on their website and will avoid like the plague!

hunkermunker Fri 20-May-05 15:48:26

That gives me a warm glow of satisfaction, Millie1 - pleased to know I've lost them a customer

loulabelle222 Fri 20-May-05 15:54:19

amazon are always cheaper for electricals , my sony camcorder was £100 cheaper than in the sony shop!

anchovies Fri 20-May-05 16:14:59

I have bought from internetcamerasdirect and found them great, really helpful! Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with them hunkermunker.

Also try boots (10% off) and asda sometimes have good deals as well. As has already been suggested amazon and pixmania are also worth a try.

Are you looking for a particular one or just the best for a price?

Millie1 Fri 20-May-05 17:25:50

Thanks everyone! Anachovies, at the moment I'm just daydreaming ... and planning. Am torn really - would loooove a digital SLR BUT at the same time want the compact, fits in handbag/pocket option so I guess that realisitically, for now, am looking at something like an IXUS. By next week I'll probably have changed my mind again!! Just really doing some research for now so that when I've saved enough pennies I can just go out and buy!

macwoozy Fri 20-May-05 17:45:14

I've just bought a camera from Pixmania, alot cheaper than other places, and it came within a matter of days. So well worth a look.

Millie1 Fri 20-May-05 18:55:18

Being a bit nosey Macwoozy but as a matter of interest what did you go for?

janeybops Fri 20-May-05 18:55:50

we got ours from Amazon

Blondeinlondon Fri 20-May-05 18:59:17

we used cameras2u.com, got an IXUS of some sort, very easy to use and small

Carameli Fri 20-May-05 19:18:18

another vote for Pixmania!!!

gingerbear Fri 20-May-05 19:33:38

Amazon were pretty competitive with Pixmania (and free delivery)

gingerbear Fri 20-May-05 19:37:31

Millie, I too wanted an SLR type. Settled for olympus 765
It has v good reviews and I am pleased with the results I get. Not too big but not as pocket sized as the Ixus.
Google for Steve's Digicam website - good stuff on how to choose a camera on there.

bensmum3 Fri 20-May-05 20:38:08

If you are still looking the 7 day shop has some very reasonable deals, good service too.

tamum Fri 20-May-05 21:01:35

I got a Canon EOS300D from Pixmania. It's a fantastic camera, but the manual was in French (where Pixmania is based) which I was less than thrilled about. I had previously ordered a camera from Internetcamerasdirect and I emailed to see if I could cancel it and they were utterly charming and helpful about it, I have to say.

tamum Fri 20-May-05 21:02:06

Oh yes, I would recommend 7dayshop too, loads of good deals.

Nome Fri 20-May-05 21:51:02

We've used Ebuyer before and they seemed very efficient.

macwoozy Mon 23-May-05 09:09:49

Millie1, I got myself a Nikon Coolpix 5200 camera, and I'm dead impressed. Really reasonably priced too. Takes superb photos, really easy to use. Has 15 scene modes and 3 x optical zoom. What really sold it to me was that the video had sound, unlike alot of the other ones that are around.

Sorry only just noticed that you had asked me, no doubt you've already bought a camera already.

Millie1 Mon 23-May-05 10:11:17

Thanks for all the information. What's the 7 day shop - is there a website? Macwoozy - Nikon was one of the brands I'm considering so good to know that they're good. Won't be buying just now cos I want to go and have a good look in Jessops or somewhere before I buy.

bensmum3 Mon 23-May-05 19:12:16

digitalcameras

hub2dee Mon 23-May-05 19:32:24

Amazingly detailed reviews at dpreview.com

tamum: Have you been happy with your Digital Rebel / EOS 300 ? I have a little one on the way and am considering the EOS350D as I find the shutter lag on the my small (and fabulous) IXUS 400 to mean I sometimes miss great shots (or else it takes several snaps to get something brill IYSWIM whilst on an SLR I know I would have got the shot first time). I take a fair few photos and have spent 20 years on a Canon AE1-P which was fab.

I'd still recommend the small Canon IXUS cameras to anyone though. Fantastic optics and low noise on the images. There is a new 7 MP just out IIRC.

Millie1 Mon 23-May-05 22:00:39

Thanks for both these links! Hub2dee ... the 350D is what I'd love and the IXUS700 top of the affordable list! Keep us posted if you do get the 350D as to what you think!

tamula Mon 23-May-05 22:09:55

Search Dealtime and Kelkoo, I bought a camera today via Dealtime at cameras2u.com free delivery over £100 and good bundle specials on accessories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now