Talk

Advanced search

Marco Sky or Phil & Ted's E3 for 19m age-gap? Or what??

(34 Posts)
franch Thu 19-May-05 22:38:38

I know the double buggy thing has been done to death - I keep re-reading the old threads (and stopping people in the street), and STILL can't make my mind up. Help! We live in a 2nd-floor flat in London so my BIG priority is something very very compact, lightweight and manoeuvrable - easy to get on and off buses, up steps, through doorways etc.

DD isn't walking yet (baby is due early Sept) so buggy board won't be an option for a while - I may manage with stroller + sling for a while but we will definitely need a double buggy so all advice much appreciated.

MarsLady Thu 19-May-05 22:45:27

Franch NOT the Phil and Ted it's so ugly. You can try my Marco out next week and decide for yourself, but think of the baby under that buggy whilst you are bumping it up the stairs. Do the single and sling then get a buggy board. Just NOT the Phil and Ted, pukesville!

Right, really gone to bed now.

wheresmyfroggy Thu 19-May-05 22:48:59

Go to bed mars before those dt's get up

wheresmyfroggy Thu 19-May-05 22:49:32

p.s what has the phil and teds ever done to you?

misdee Thu 19-May-05 22:50:57

IMO phil and teds not suitable for lugging up and down stairs. tink the marco sky may be your best bet.

wheresmyfroggy Thu 19-May-05 22:52:33

Sorry franch, we have the Phil and teds and have found it brilliant, it is fairly heavy, but it is very compact in fact no bigger than most single three wheelers and very manouverable

HTH

smellymelly Thu 19-May-05 22:55:24

How are the marco sky's? I'm really interested in them too, but people sell them on ebay when they have only used them a couple of times... What's wrong with them?

I have to say I'm not really keen on how the phil and ted things look either!

franch Fri 20-May-05 09:01:33

lol Mars - yes I'm looking forward to test-driving your Marco - was wondering how long it would last as you know DD is quite tall - will she have enough legroom?

Agree about P&T's really - the whole idea doesn't appeal - but they do seem to be the only other really compact model around so if the Marco doesn't have enough room, do I have any other choices?

wheresmyfroggy, do you take the point about bumping up and down stairs? I do a lot of that!

wheresmyfroggy Fri 20-May-05 09:06:38

Dw bumps our p and t up steps and down in tube. Not ideal at all but needs must and all that. Looks like the marcosky is more like a maclaren so might be easier but dont know as we havent tried the ms. [dw is a buggy fetishist though so am sure she will hunt one down]

franch Fri 20-May-05 09:18:39

Hmm, looks like the Marco's winning as long as I'll be able to squeeze DD in for a good while yet. I know you put your heavier DT in the back of yours, Mars, and I recently read a few reviews that said there's just no legroom there for toddlers. You are supposed to be able to use it up to 3 years though, aren't you?

Won't invest till after DD2's arrived, in any case - will make do with stroller + sling for the first couple of months I think.

franch Fri 20-May-05 09:34:17

So Mars can I book my test-drive for Wed next week? I'll text you if that's looking OK for you

Milly1968 Sat 21-May-05 14:18:29

I have a Marco sky and think it's completely over rated, sorry! Other than the fact it's very narrow, I can't really think of any other plus points. It's extremely heavy and very difficult to push, it's hard to manoeuvre, and absolutely impossible to get up and down steps.

It was okay when my DTs were 8-12 months however, now they're 18 months it's just too heavy. I haven't used it for months and will probably end up trying to sell it (it is in almost mint condition!).

I still use my Mamas and Papas Twin Aria which I've had since they were born, and although it's not perfect it's a lot more practical than the Marco Sky. I'm able to bounce it down the steps to the Tube which I would never have been able to do with the Marco Sky. It's narrow enough to fit through most doorways and it also reclines fully if either twin falls asleep (not much chance of that now!)

The other thing to remember is that both babies must be sitting up on their own before you can use the MS as the seats don't recline at all (actually I think one may do very slightly)

Sorry not to be more helpful, but I would really not recommend the MS, especially if you live in London (like we do) and need a lightweight and compact buggy for use on public transport.

Xena Sat 21-May-05 14:50:05

We have a MS and its great for shopping trips IMO and I think for buses it would be good (although I don't have much experience of them) because a standard side by side wouldn't get on and I think that the MS is not as heavy as a normal Graco type one in front of the other. They say that the MS is suitable from 2/3 mths but the back seat reclines more than the Maclaren Techno which they advertise suitable from birth. Had my pg carried on then we would have used it for DD2 and the new baby but we have been using it for DD1 and DD2 and DD1 is a tall 3yo and still fits eaisly in the back seat with plenty of leg room she actually likes it because her feet sit comfortable on the foot strap.
HTH

lockets Sat 21-May-05 15:25:44

Message withdrawn

Xena Sat 21-May-05 15:35:13

My techno I think that was the 2nd one they did (rubber handles) was not flat like my pram is. But maybe the new ones are??

lockets Sat 21-May-05 15:38:56

Message withdrawn

Xena Sat 21-May-05 15:49:15

Yes its only the back seat, although our dd2 (10mths) sits in the front as she pulls dd1s hair. We have a twin nipper as well so we would have only needed the MS for shopping trips when we went in the car. Having thought more carefully about it I couldn't imagine bumping the MS down a flight of stairs which you can do with the 3 wheelers but the down side to them is that the side by sides you can't get on a standard bus. Although I did take my 3 to London Zoo last year with the nipper and If you got on in the middle you could take it on a bendy bus.
As I have never found a 1 dble that does all the jobs I have 2!

franch Sat 21-May-05 19:53:28

Aaaaaaaaagh! Thanks for the advice everyone but I'm as confused as ever!!!!!!!

Xena Sat 21-May-05 20:00:07

MarsLady Sat 21-May-05 20:06:49

the back seat reclines beautifully. I think that they improve it each time. I know that they've increased the leg room at the back. DT2 is a lot bigger than DT1 and has plenty of room. Have a try honey but I reckon you'll probably be better going down the buggy board route. Test drive mone and make your own decision. Of course I hear that the nipper is brilliant!

Xena Sat 21-May-05 20:07:42

I am related to tomanypushchairs you know

MarsLady Sat 21-May-05 20:10:52

I remember, but she stole your ebay name lol

franch Sun 22-May-05 10:03:47

But isn't the Nipper a side-by-side???

lockets Sun 22-May-05 10:40:47

Message withdrawn

jenkel Sun 22-May-05 10:44:26

Just wanted to add I have a phil & teds with an 18 month age gap and love it. It does fold down quite small but is heavy and wouldnt recommend it for going up lots of stairs. But for us its brilliant, enough space in both seats for both dd's, who are 3 and 1 1/2.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now