Talk

Advanced search

Moses baskets: how long can you use them for?

(7 Posts)
franch Thu 19-May-05 21:50:34

There seem to be differing opinions on this so I'm turning to MN as ever. DD will be 19m when DD2 arrives in Sept and I don't think she's ready to move to a bed yet (she's not walking, and I kind of feel maybe she should be before we move her), so I was going to borrow a Moses basket for DD2. Obviously we'll play it by ear but I'm thinking in terms of moving DD1 to a bed at around 2, which would mean DD2 would be in the Moses basket for about 4-5 months - would she be far too big by then?? I know it depends on size etc etc but can you give me a rough idea? Thanks.

singyswife Thu 19-May-05 21:53:37

Hi I moved my DD out of their moses baskets at around 2 months but that was purely because I wanted my bedroom back. I know people who have had their child in one for longer than you are suggesting and have been fine.
Play it by ear.

roisin Thu 19-May-05 21:54:39

I think most children would be too big for a Moses basket by 4 months. Ds2 (who was 'average' size), was too big by about 12 weeks.

Also your dd1 may feel 'pushed out' by the baby if the moment she leaves her cot the baby goes straight in.

Is it possible for you to borrow a cot from someone for 6 months or so, just to give you a bit of flexibility?

Gobbledigook Thu 19-May-05 22:04:29

Franch, ds1 was 19m when ds2 arrived. DS2 spent about 8 weeks in the moses basket then we turfed ds1 out of the cot and into a bed to make way for him. Didn't have a problem at all - he was fine. We didn't even use a bedguard but you could always do so to give your dd some security and safety from falling out.

I wouldn't waste any money on a new cot or anything but I guess if you could borrow one that would be an alternative

Aero Thu 19-May-05 22:15:37

Do you have a travelcot you could use for a couple of months? Think about 4 months is the best you can hope for unless baby is very little. Also, it might be good to move dd to her bed and give her time to be settled in it before you use it for dd2, so she doesn't feel 'pushed' out of it iyswim. Depends on how sensitive your dd is whether she might feel that way of course.
Sorry, couldn't think of a better way to word that - I'm sure you'll have thought of that already.

kama Thu 19-May-05 22:26:55

Message withdrawn

franch Fri 20-May-05 09:02:29

Thanks all, good advice. We'll get the basket and see how things are after a month or two.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now