Talk

Advanced search

Stairgate for curved bottom step

(7 Posts)
PhoebeLaura Tue 14-Jul-09 21:37:57

I'm looking for a stairgate for the bottom of our stairs but the bottom 2 steps curve out at an angle away from the bannister so I need something either curved or that I can angle at a diagonal that will be attached to the newel post on one side and the wall on the other.

Does anyone know of anything that would work? The baby Dan Flexi Fit is the only possibility I've found so far but not entirely convinced it will work - has anyone managed to find a solution?

AMumInScotland Tue 14-Jul-09 21:47:03

Not so much a solution as a work-around - we had the same problem when DS was small, and ended up putting stairgates across a narrow hallway and a door, to keep him completely away from the bottom of the stairs.

NellieTheEllie Tue 14-Jul-09 21:56:20

this
is what we have at the bottom of our very odd shaped stairs.
Bit pricey, but works a treat.

MrsBadger Tue 14-Jul-09 22:02:13

leave the bottom two steps unguarded and put a normal gate across where they straighten out?

like Amuminscotland we kept the hall door closed and just had a gate at the top

reikizen Tue 14-Jul-09 22:04:31

We had a babydan that we bought cheap on ebay and curved that around the stairs. For dd2 in a different house we put the stairgate on the second step up but she wasn't such a climber anyway so wasn't as much of a problem.

preggersplayspop Tue 14-Jul-09 22:09:23

I've never had stairgates at the bottom, just at the top and I have never had any problems. I thought I read somewhere recommending you put them 2 or 3 stairs up if you did have a gate at the bottom so that they can 'practice' on a few stairs without much chance of a long fall.

PhoebeLaura Wed 15-Jul-09 07:55:00

Thanks everyone - I hadn't seriously considered putting it a few steps up as I thought that would defeat the purpose but I guess maybe you are right that he needs to practice.

Nellie - That looks good, a bit pricey though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now