Talk

Advanced search

Best bikes for a family of not great cyclists !

(6 Posts)
FigmentOfYourImagination Tue 14-Jul-09 08:25:40

We want to buy 2 adult bikes (one for me, one for him) and something to transport almost 7yo DD with us.

DD has a bike but is not great on it, she is wobbly and is still on stabilisers (she goes through about 2weeks a year of being interested in cycling and then gets fed up because she hansn't got the strength in her legs).

What are those add on thingys like ? You know, the ones where you have a bike attached to the back of a bike, sort of like a modern tandem. I think they may be called tagalongs (I could have that very wrong). Does the child need to be able to ride a bike to use one ?

The bike seats (the ones which go on the back of adult bikes) are too small for her now so it has to be something like the tagalong. I'm reluctant to go down the trailer route as I'm keen for DD to get the exercise too and to want to get on her own bike. If she goes in a chariot at the back she is likely to laze around quite happily letting me and DH do the donkey work !

I need something relatively comfortable and easy to ride, as does DH. Our main issue is transporting DD with us until she is a good enough cyclist in her own right right to travel with us on her own bike.

Any ideas ? Bargains ? Good websites ?

FigmentOfYourImagination Tue 14-Jul-09 08:49:07

Damn, I've looked at the add on bike things and they say that age wise they are only recommended for ages 4-6. DD is a tall girl and so that will prob be no good either

FigmentOfYourImagination Tue 14-Jul-09 08:54:19

Have any of you tried this?

It looks like it makes the bike enormously long though. Is it awkward to get round corners with it. Does it make the turning circle gigantic ?

FigmentOfYourImagination Tue 14-Jul-09 18:32:00

evening bumperoo

amazonianwoman Tue 14-Jul-09 21:36:10

Here is a tagalong for 7-10 year olds. I've used that website for other bike purchases - and would recommend them.

Haven't used a tagalong or a trailgator yet (DD just 5, so just looking into these options) but I'd say the tagalong would give a more natural riding position than the trailgator - the trailgator tips the child's bike back a bit. But it does offer much more flexibility, ie she can occasionally ride alone.

We have a Burley trailer - I'd say an almost 7 yr old would be too big for a trailer, DD is pretty squashed, plus I reckon it's time she started doing a bit of the legwork grin Trailers, even good ones, are heavy!

If you do go for a trailgator, don't get it from Halfords. They're half the price here

In fact, I wouldn't recommend buying bikes from Halfords either, their service is rubbish, the staff aren't usually particularly skilled, have only ever heard negative comments. Bit of a "jack of all trades master of none" place I reckon!

Decathlon have reasonably priced leisure bikes, so do Evans Cycles or Edinburgh Bicycle Co-op (not just in Edinburgh!) It really depends on your budget, although I'd say spend at least £200 on an adult bike for a half decent spec.

HTH

FigmentOfYourImagination Fri 17-Jul-09 09:41:06

Thanks AM smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now