Talk

Advanced search

wanting a new vacuum cleaner, thinking dyson, what would you recommend?

(17 Posts)
mumtojames Mon 13-Jul-09 11:21:54

Hi i'm going to invest in a new vacuum cleaner, mine is about bust now. i have a dyson 05, but was thinking of getting one thats upright this time. main problem is that i have uneven slate tiles downstairs and carpets upstairs so was wanting one that will do both. anyone got any recommendations?
thanks

kando Mon 13-Jul-09 11:28:36

I have a Dyson (DC 14 Animal, purple and grey). Works beautifully on wooden floors and carpets.

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 11:32:17

oh yes, please recommend a good vacuum cleaner to me. I think I could do with a new one too.

Must be good on

1. rubbish old shag pile carpets
2. those twist sort of carpets
3. picking up cat hair

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 11:33:42

I seem to remember a lot of people have dissed teh dyson? Is that right or not?

mrsdisorganised Mon 13-Jul-09 11:37:07

My Animal Dc 15 is great, hasn't eaten any of my carpets and is fantastic on all surfaces and brilliant for dog and cat hair. It did take me a while to get used to the 'ball' but wouldn't change it now. smile

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 11:38:58

Two votes for Dyson Animal.

gorionine Mon 13-Jul-09 11:42:16

I have just baught a Samsung one (sales at Tesco last month) and am so far happy with it because:

-It sucks like mad

-it is lighter than my last one

-very easy to wash the dust thing and the filter!

Pointydog you would have to buy the cat/dog hair attachement on the side as it does not come with it.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 13-Jul-09 11:44:40

Gorionine - I think it does with the animal. I've been looking at Dysons am looking at the new animal too. The difference between it and the normal Dyson seems to be that you get the special mini turbine head.

They have a good price on Amazon at the moment

gorionine Mon 13-Jul-09 11:52:27

Yes, I think the Animal one is actually recomended for housholds with pets, I was selfishly still talking about my vacum cleanerblush.

pointydog Mon 13-Jul-09 11:59:26

I will check out

Alibabaandthe40nappies Mon 13-Jul-09 12:04:57

Gorionine - sorry blush I have become a little obsessed about my choice of vacum blush

mumtojames Mon 13-Jul-09 12:06:21

do you know if the animal is okay for all floors or do i have to have the 'all floors' one?

lucykate Mon 13-Jul-09 12:09:05

i replaced our broken dyson with a cheaper hoover last year. the new one picks up well, but already has broken plastic in 3 places. anything other than a dyson, or maybe a miele, is just false economy.

gorionine Mon 13-Jul-09 12:11:16

Alibaba, do not worry, I think we just suffer from hoover obsession, nothing that a cup of tea won't cure!

<<passes cup to Alibaba, anyone else?>>

Tangle Mon 13-Jul-09 12:52:53

the animal is, as far as I can tell, the AllFloors in a different colour and with the mini-turbine head included (you can buy it seperately if you prefer the yellow version). The mini-thing does make a big difference in areas where you'd normally use one of the other attachments (stairs, furniture), but I wouldn't use it in preference to the main machine over large floor areas.

mumtojames Mon 13-Jul-09 13:43:05

thank you all. think i'll go for the animal.

MayorNaze Mon 13-Jul-09 13:50:38

well done, was just about to add another vote for animal too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now