Talk

Advanced search

Can you tell me what mobile phone deals you have for your teens/pre-teens?

(10 Posts)
Tinker Sun 12-Jul-09 22:34:46

My 12 year old is trying to cajole me into a £15 om contract. She's currently on PAYG. Naturally, it's the phone she's got her eye on. Deal says unlimited texts (= good, she always runs out of credit before month end - currently topped up at £15 pm) plus 100 minutes of phone calls. She deosn't actually ring much using her phone but will be tempted to, I'm sure, by this. 100 minutes isn't really very long. Plus, it says no free picture messaging etc. So, what happens then then? She will send pictures, I know she will.

I would like unlimited texts but am very very cautious of getting a huge bill.

Advice please. Thanks

Tinker Sun 12-Jul-09 22:35:10

pm contract, not om

Tinker Mon 13-Jul-09 08:48:08

anyone?

Saggarmakersbottomknocker Mon 13-Jul-09 09:03:13

In my (bitter) experience a contract is Not A Good Thing for a teen. ds1 memorably ran up a £500 bill on his first contract.

My other teens have o2 PAYG. You get free texts depending on how much per month you top up, £10 gets you 300, more top ups = more texts plus you get 10% of your top ups back every so often; 3 months I think.

Tinker Mon 13-Jul-09 09:10:12

Ah, saggar, that is what I think is likely to happen as well. I've heard similar bitter experience.

Your PAYG deal sounds better, I think, than her current one. Doesn't help that we're all on different networks either hmm

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 13-Jul-09 09:20:53

My dd has a very similar deal to the one your dc is asking for - she has unlimited texts and 100 minutes. Picture messages are included. I also add a bundle to enable her to go on websites - this is an extra fiver a month.

Tbh I was very hesitant about it for all the reasons mentioned above, however dd was going to Austria on a school trip and I wanted to be able to contact her and I knew her PAYG costs would be prohibitive.

She has had it 3 months and so far, so good. She is absoluteley forbidden (on pain of death!) from calling any of her friends, those minutes she has are to be used for family only. She knows the deal and has obliged accordingly. I have threatened her with phone confiscation if she ever exceeds her £15 a month costs (for once, my threats have worked) and she has to clean the cars out every week for me to pay the bill. So far, so good.

(watch my next bill come in at £150 after I have said that with so much confodence!)

Tinker Mon 13-Jul-09 09:29:01

Ah, that's hopeful. The problem with the 100 minutes that I forsee is that she will soon be forbidden from using the landline much during peak time since our BT bill has rocketed since she started secondary - on her own from 3:30 to 5:00!

foofi Mon 13-Jul-09 09:41:44

dd's phone is important to her, and she uses it for music etc, so we pay £35 a month for hers, even though mine is only £10 a month!

Tinker Mon 13-Jul-09 13:09:57

Ooo, don't think I'll show her your post foofi grin

Anyone else?

LongDroopyBoobyLady Mon 13-Jul-09 13:18:39

We pay £12 per month for 150 mins and 250 texts with Virgin for DD1. Anything over the £12 she has to pay us. Anything she can't afford to pay and the phone is taken away.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now