Talk

Advanced search

Breadmaker question

(29 Posts)
LucyMinter Sun 12-Jul-09 18:38:19

I've just got a muchly reducto breadmaker in Currys. It's Morphy one and looked good, Which best buy etc.

However, having tried it this afternoon, I have a few issues.

One, the buttons - I can't understand how it works - you press off, and it doesn't beep, then you press it again and it says HHH and beeps a lot so you have to unplug it - no other button it would seem will just turn the blardy thing off.

The off button has to be pressed for two seconds, to turn it off, and one second to turn it on. How crap is that exactly? I can't judge how long because it doesn't beep.

Two, the bread didn't rise, and tastes revolting - but I expect that was my fault for using rock salt instead of table salt, yes? It is very salty bread and is going out for the birds, unless i'm advised it's likely to kill them. hmm

Three. You have to press 'off' at the end or it stays on for an extra hour after it's finished, to keep the bread warm? And when I tried to do this, the buttons were HOT I mean extremely hot so I went 'Ow!' and almost burnt my finger.
Nothing in the instructions about this. In fact the whole thing gets incredibly hot, inside and out.

Do you think there is something wrong with it? Or am I just in 'new-item-panic' mode and this will all pass?

<sulks>

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 12-Jul-09 18:42:00

HHH means it has got too hot and you just have to sit it out. Is bloody annoying. I have had it when DS2 was helping me.

TBH I never add salt. I know it is said it is needed but it still works for me.

Can you post a link as I have had a few machines and may have had this one.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-09 18:46:53

I love my bread machine. My parents gave it to me for Christmas and I've not bought a loaf of bread since.

There is a certain amount of learning to do but I get a good loaf every time now.

Don't use rock salt, use the table/cooking salt.

My recipe calls for :
1/2 tsp yeast (Doves fast action yeast)
400g flour (I mix white and wholemeal)
18g (ish) of butter
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar (have reduced this to 1/2 recently)
300g water (yes, I weigh it!)

Fab.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-09 18:48:32

It stays hot until you press "off" in case you're not there when the cycle finishes. This means that the steam doesn't condense in the machine and make your bread soggy.

TDiddy Sun 12-Jul-09 19:10:22

Sorry that i can't help as I have the Panasonic SD-255. I am stuck on weekly banana bread (gluten/dairy/egg free) for allergy DD.

When you get into the swing it will be worth it.

LucyMinter Sun 12-Jul-09 19:13:54

Ah thankyou gals, much appreciated, I really hate that thing where you look in the book then look at your yeast packet and none of it adds up and your brain just explodes.

Fabby it's the 48271 I think - Accents model. If you have had it, do you find the buttons are too hot to touch?

Thanks for the recipe Soupdragon smile and banana bread sounds great. Hmm might even persuade ds2 to eat bread at this rate.

LucyMinter Sun 12-Jul-09 19:14:34

Here she is

TDiddy my friend has that one, says it is brilliant envy

Oh dear! I will LEARN to love this baby.

SoupDragon Sun 12-Jul-09 19:21:39

Mine's the Panasonic too. I've adjusted the sugar & salt levels of the standard one in the book (and left out the nonsensical milk powder)

Cheese bread is fab.
I also add about 4 table spoons of wheatgerm plus a little extra water sometimes.
Making the dough for muffins is great.
Ditto pizza bases and pitta bread.

LucyMinter Sun 12-Jul-09 19:23:56

Oh Golly Soup you sound like a right pro. I can't even cook most things so am rubbish at this too!

I don't have the magic touch.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 12-Jul-09 19:28:38

That is one of the few machines I haven't had!

LucyMinter Sun 12-Jul-09 19:29:57

Ho hum! Thanks anyway. x

TDiddy Sun 12-Jul-09 19:42:14

FabBakerGirlI grin [grin}

Lucy,

yes it is brilliant but I think yours is more highly rated. I am sure you will bond with it in the end.

P.S. I am a bloke by the way.

TDiddy Sun 12-Jul-09 19:43:47

Namechanging from ToughDaddy feels like the cyber equivalent of sex change (!) which was not what i had in mine.

TDiddy Sun 12-Jul-09 19:44:33

... in mine mind

LucyMinter Sun 12-Jul-09 19:49:52

Why did you change TD? I'm not a bloke, in case you were wondering...grin

TDiddy Sun 12-Jul-09 19:52:44

Lucy- you don't sound blokish <<meant in a nice way>>

I changed cos my DC know my old name and i didn't want to leave a trail for them to search when they are teenagers. Yet I wanted MN insiders to make the link between old and new names.

LucyMinter Sun 12-Jul-09 20:00:20

Ah that amkes sense smile

I am lucky in that mine can't really read yet and I suppose I plan to stop MNing before he can, so he never twigs!!

<wonders how plausible this is>

TDiddy Sun 12-Jul-09 20:40:55

Just keep identity secret from DCs. Even I don't know who DW is on MN!

LucyMinter Mon 13-Jul-09 07:13:04

Oh she is clever in that case!!! I was spotted by my best friend about 5 times, she just knew straight away! blush

TDiddy Mon 13-Jul-09 10:53:06

yes, she has probably offered me advice in the past without me knowing. Or we have probably had bitter argument? Who know who she is? I know that it's not you as you have a better breadmaker than mine!

Hope that you weren't asking for advice about your BF. smile

SoupDragon Mon 13-Jul-09 12:47:45

Did anyone ever offer the advice "You should really buy your DW an expensive piece of jewellery and send her to a spa for the weekend" ? If so, that'll be her.

LucyMinter Mon 13-Jul-09 12:55:04

grin

well I rang the helpline and she said you shouldn't be burning your fingers on the control panel, so take it back...I took it back. I think I need to learn to make proper bread in the oven.

TDiddy Mon 13-Jul-09 13:42:28

LucyMinter- sorry to hear but I am sure you wuill give in and get another one. They are convenient and if it wasn't for breadmaker, i wouldn't be able to boast that i make my DD wheatfree, egg free dairy free bread every weekend. How impressive does that sound- I never mentuion the poor old breadmaker.

SoupDragon- grin grin now with a (witty) sense of humour like that you are sounding like her and scaring me.

TDiddy Mon 13-Jul-09 13:48:58

I think one day she will produce a thread with TDiddy advising her to leave me

SoupDragon Mon 13-Jul-09 14:03:35

<<goes to check model number on Panasonic breadmaker>>

<<breathes sigh of relief as it's an SD-253>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now