Talk

Advanced search

I need a tracker for a child - any recommendations?

(10 Posts)
saintlydamemrsturnip Sat 11-Jul-09 20:32:58

I've researched these in the past and decided I needed a radio rather than GPS tracker, but can I locate any now? No I can't (not in the UK anyway).

Am heading off back to google but would love any recommendations if anyone has any.....

JesuslovesDubrovnik Sat 11-Jul-09 20:35:08

but ...why?

saintlydamemrsturnip Sat 11-Jul-09 20:38:39

Because he's severely autistic, non-verbal, 10 years old (so no-one bothers to stop him if they see him alone), doesn't answer to his name, is a runner and we're going to a festival. He will have someone with him holding onto him at all time, but it takes seconds to slip away and once he's gone we'll be fairly buggered finding him again.

SoupDragon Sat 11-Jul-09 20:39:50

Why radio rather than GPS?

SoupDragon Sat 11-Jul-09 20:40:56

this?

saintlydamemrsturnip Sat 11-Jul-09 20:43:06

Because GPS needs good mobile phone coverage to use in the field (and is very very expensive) and the festival (and anywhere else we have ever been camping) has crappy phone reception. I think unless he escapes at night (and we have taken steps to make that hard) we would know that he had gone iyswim so the radio would just make it easier to find him again quickly.

CMOTdibbler Sat 11-Jul-09 20:43:19

What sort of distance ? this one is 300 ft, but cheap, this is more expensive.

Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of ?

saintlydamemrsturnip Sat 11-Jul-09 20:44:12

Loc8tor looks like it might be the thing to go for, although one of the reviews on Amazon said it couldn't cope with a hedge which isn't so hot.

saintlydamemrsturnip Sat 11-Jul-09 20:45:55

oh yes they look good cmot am off to read

saintlydamemrsturnip Sat 11-Jul-09 21:37:50

care trak is the most likely to work under the conditions we'll be in but is v expensive and the people who were UK distributers don't seem to be advertising it anymore (I have contacted them). Not convinced the others will work.

Agh! I've left this a bit later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now