Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a good breadmaker?

(15 Posts)
KirstyJC Fri 10-Jul-09 15:52:48

Afternoon all. I am currently using a breadmaker that a friend has lent me, from Asda I think, and I really want to get one of my own.

I am getting a bit bogged down trying to work out which is best on t'internet, so I wondered if anyone out there knows of a really good one they can recommend?

I would like one that has a retractable paddle as I don't like fishing it out from the bottom of the loaf, and then having loads of slices with holes in. It would also need to do 1.5lb loaves. Nothing fancy, don't need lots of other features.

Anyone steer me in the right direction?

Many thanks smile

Loopymumsy Sat 11-Jul-09 08:08:06

Message withdrawn

Flutterbye Sat 11-Jul-09 08:23:08

I've got one from a few years ago but am thinking of ditching it in the loft, as it takes up too much room, and just use the bread mixes from Asda (Hovis ones £1 for 2 at the mo) in the oven, don't have to measure out stuff and work a treat each time. Try them first.

missingtheaction Sat 11-Jul-09 08:34:47

i'm very fond of my panasonic 206. doesn't have retractable paddle and doesn't have a dispenser but i just use granary flour and it's brilliant.

can strongly recommend fw matthews cotswold crunch flour for granary bread, mail order get your lovely flour here

The Which? best buys are all morphy richards - they are the 48245, 48267, 48268, 48248 and 48271

FiveGoMadInDorset Sat 11-Jul-09 08:36:20

Panasonic

Loopymumsy Sat 11-Jul-09 10:49:54

Message withdrawn

LaurieFairyCake Sat 11-Jul-09 10:52:23

I've had my Panasonic for about 7 years now and nothing has ever gone wrong, it's used 3 times a week too.

I heart it smile

PfftTheMagicDragon Sat 11-Jul-09 10:54:09

I have the Panasonic 254 (without the seed adder) and I just add all the seeds at the start and it works fine. It's a great breadmaker.

pageturner Sat 11-Jul-09 11:01:37

Ahnother vote for the Panasonic 255 here. I've had mine for a couple of months and use it 3 or 4 times a week for bread, plus doughs for rolls, pizza, foccaccia, brioche... the paddle is thin and has only stuck once when I made rye bread (different paddle). I probably get two slices that have a split in them, that's all.

PacificDogwood Sat 11-Jul-09 11:01:58

I have a Morphy Richards, not sure which number and its great.
No retractable paddle though, no seed/nut dispenser but I find if I add ALL ingredients from the start it all works out fine.
And I vote for Lidl's bread mixes, they are fab smile

Dazmum Sat 11-Jul-09 11:05:28

Yet another vote for the Panasonic 255!

Makingchanges Sat 11-Jul-09 11:30:41

Panasonic 255 - is expensive to buy though although pays for itself quite quick if you look at the cost of bread nowadays

Winetimeisfinetime Sat 11-Jul-09 11:34:01

Panasonic here too - I have the first ever model they made and it is probably 11 - 12 years old and still going strong.

They are dearer initially but will stand the test of time.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Sat 11-Jul-09 11:36:11

Was going to throw in a(bad)joke then and say 'Hovis' grin. sorry!

KirstyJC Sat 11-Jul-09 17:15:28

Thanks guys, so it seems to be a vote for Panasonic then, with Morphy Richards a possible. One I liked the look of on t'interweb was a Morphy Richards one 'cos it had a retractable paddle and was half price in July! (And free delivery - I love a bargain, me!smile).

With the Panasonic, I suppose if the paddle bit doesn't cause too many slices with holes then this might be OK - the one I have at the moment is leaving holes in 4-5 pieces. Not helped by the fact we haven't got the tool for removing it so I have to wedge a bent skewer in to pull it out grin!

I have narrowed it down then to the Panasonic or Morphy Richards.

Thanks for your help smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now