Talk

Advanced search

Weeride front bike seats - any good?

(8 Posts)
LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 13:07:29

I'm thinking of getting one of these for ds who is just 2, and quite small.

I wondered what people think of them - I previously had a rear seat for my elder child and didn't like the way it altered the weight, often the front wheel would come up too much when going up a kerb etc. and I found it quite wobbly.

Is the weeride any better, or is it likely my son will be too big in it for me to ride comfortably?

Got to post and run but back later x

lynniep Fri 10-Jul-09 19:52:27

Seriously did not like ours. In fact I just sold it on ebay after using it once. I think its a love it or hate it thing though.

My DS is 2.4 (big though) and I found

A) the seat is tiny and he was all hunched up - It says 1-5 on the bumph - no way on earth could you have a 5 year old on there!
b) my thighs rubbed constantly on the seat which I hated
c) I found it difficult turning left and right.

Those were the main issues I had. I can't remember off the top of my head what other things I disliked.

BUT

I may have felt differently about a much smaller child as a) and c) wouldnt have been as much of an issue and it is quite nice having them in front of me

LucyMinter Fri 10-Jul-09 20:13:37

Ah thanks Lynnie...maybe not so great then! I appreciate your thoughts. Ds is very little, not a v big or tall 2yo so maybe we might get away with it hmm oh dear!

Will see how it is and then ebay as required. grin What did you get instead - there are so many rear carriers, not sure where to start.

lynniep Sat 11-Jul-09 18:27:19

Hi Lucy - Im pretty happy with our halfords seat (hamax kiss) which is a rear seat. Its basic, but DS seems happy in it and it seems like a nice supportive structure, with adjustable footrests for his long legs, and a high back. Also I got hold of a spare attachement on ebay, so that DH and me can switch it between our bikes really easily.

The only small issue I've had with it is DS falling asleep and conking out with his helmet resting on my back which is a bit uncomfy for me. As we dont go for long rides its not really a problem, but I did think maybe a reclining one would be better if I used the bike more. I dont, and Im pg again now anyway so the bike doesnt come out much!

pooter Sat 11-Jul-09 18:32:16

i had a go of both types - expecting to love teh weeride, but i didnt! it was really uncomfortable and tricky to steer - my legs were all bent around the seat. i ended up geting a corider limo - which we also tried, and its really good, but still takes a bit of getting used to.

find somewhere you can try them out - we went to a childrens festival thing where there was a big "hey lets all bike more" display on, with loads of trailers etc for kiddies.

ShowOfHands Sat 11-Jul-09 18:33:27

I have a crossbar seat, it's a quokka not a weeride but similar thing.

I love it. It is hard to get used to it as you have to have your knees in a slightly different position and turning needs to be mastered but you just practice somewhere safe first.

DD is 2yrs 2 months, 91st centile for height and off the charts for weight (she's big!) and it's fine for her. Used it since about 6 months.

Doesn't change the dynamics of the bike, don't feel like you're dragging a weight, can talk easily to her, point things out etc.

MIAonline Sat 11-Jul-09 18:45:40

Love ours. You feel so much more together and can talk so much easier. We came to it later, just before DS was 2 and we wish we had had it sooner. Thought it would take a bit of getting used to, but it is fine and we use it regularly.

Go for it!

tallbirduk Sat 11-Jul-09 23:03:56

ooo, we have one of these which actually attaches to the handlebar stem meaning that the seat moves as you steer - much, much better than one that stays still while you steer (like the Weeride).

It is incredibly easy to cycle with - much more than I expected - and I barely notice my DS (25lbs) even when he is wiggling and trying to ring the bell!

He seems to love it too - such a great view from up there - and I like being able to talk to him and see what he is up to.

Hubby is 6ft 3 and has to bow his knees out slightly, I am 6ft and find it fine also and it would probably be even better if we had it on a properly sized bike and not our hack about which we got from the police auctions!

I would definately recommend it, if nothing else it certainly gets people staring

A photo of it in use here (hopefully)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now