Talk

Advanced search

Which balance bike for a 4yo?

(16 Posts)
Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 18:20:17

one with a brake and not too expensive if possible grin

minko Thu 09-Jul-09 18:24:19

For what it's worth I'd buy a normal bike with stabilisers for a 4yo. DD's transition from stabilisers to no-stabilisers was very quick and normal bikes are much cheaper...

hockeypuck Thu 09-Jul-09 18:35:13

At 4 I would buy a non stabiliser normal bike and remove the pedals to use as a balance bike. Once he/she has the hang of the balance bit then put the pedals on it.

I would NEVER use stabilisers!!

DD had stabilisers and has only just learnt to ride without them at almost 7.

DS had a balance bike at 2 (an extra small PUKY), got the hang of balance and is almost ready to ride a pedal bike with no stabilisers at 3.4.

A lot of stabiliser bikes come with fixed pedals that can't freewhell so it is very hard to learn how to pedal the bike once the stabilisers are off. I'd definitely go for a normal pedal bike, with non fixed pedals and remove them for a month or two until ready to give proper biking a go!

minko Thu 09-Jul-09 18:45:22

Good pint hockeypuck. I thought about doing the same thing with DS, though as I said DD got the hang of no stabilisers quite quickly.

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 19:10:35

Oh thanks so much for your replies, I posted and then dashed off to sort out the boys.

The thing is we already have a bike (with stabilisers on) that was given to us by a friend. I thought if I could find a balance bike that was big enough at its highest setting it might give him some confidence and then move him onto the proper bike (so that DS2 can have the balance bike).

I'm just having difficulty figuring out which one would fit, or if I should indeed just take off the pedals etc of the bike we have....but then I'd want to get DS2 a balance bike at some point anyway......<thinking out loud>

Washersaurus Thu 09-Jul-09 19:11:54

I should say we have had the bike for nearly 6 months and DS1 is just not interested in pedals. He is used to going fast on his mini micro scooter everywhere, so the stabilisers are just too slow for him to bother with.

hockeypuck Sat 11-Jul-09 10:02:18

Washersaurus - just seen a balance bke for boys on Tesco.com. It's only £38 which is very cheap for a balance bike. Worth checking out maybe?

Washersaurus Sat 11-Jul-09 10:50:44

Goodness hockeypuck, thank you for thinking of me. I have also seen that one from JL at the same price. From reading online reviews it appears there are quality issues with those bikes.

I'm still unsure what to do and am running out of time as DS is 4 next week and I don't know what to give him as a present!

hockeypuck Sat 11-Jul-09 14:36:30

If you really don't want to get him a proper non-stabiliser bike and remove the pedals then I personally can recommend the PUKY balance bikes, though they are pricey - the resale value on them is very good once your DS has outgrown it.

hockeypuck Sat 11-Jul-09 14:37:13

I got mine from a mail order company called The Bike Shed - it was the cheapest at the time, if you want to google it

Washersaurus Sun 12-Jul-09 21:20:33

In the end we have decided to try just taking the pedals etc off the bike we have to see how he gets on with it. We can't really justify the expensive of buying a balance bike at the moment even though DS2 would use it too.

That just leaves me with the problem of what to get him for his birthday.

amazonianwoman Mon 13-Jul-09 09:43:26

How about getting him a 2-wheeled scooter for his birthday?

DD got a Micro scooter for her 5th birthday last month - she's very cautious but is doing really well balancing on her scooter. So much so that we took the stabilisers off her bike at the weekend and she could balance for a few seconds. Major result for her smile

hockeypuck Mon 13-Jul-09 13:28:25

scooters have the added benefit of being a big present in terms of the size of box/wrapping - but only costing £5-10 from a supermarket - which is always a result in my book!

Washersaurus Mon 13-Jul-09 16:01:56

Hmm he is very happy with his Mini Micro scooter at the moment, so not really planning on upgrading him to 2 wheels for a while yet. Saying that we are considering getting him a mini skateboard with pads etc to mess around with - he had a go on one in a shop and suprised me with his balancing skills grin...or am I insane to even consider it?

wozzalally Sun 09-Aug-09 19:29:27

Recently bought a FEHA design wooden running bike and DS has been out on it appx 10 times but is totally struggling. He seems to find the saddle rubs and he just seems so slow and stiff on it. Any tips or suggestions. Am really keen for him to move on to a bike now as he will be 4 in Oct. HELP!

Klaw Sun 09-Aug-09 19:39:56

Get something off Freecycle and take the pedals off!

Then when balance has been achieved you can buy the lovely shiny new bike. wink

My dd (4.2) had a small bike with stabilizers which she tootled about on but then dp came home with another slightly bigger bike. EVENTUALLY, about 2weeks ago, he did as I asked and took the pedals off the old one so she can use it as a balance bike. She chooses to use that the majority of time and the time she coasts along balancing is increasing each day!

If you use an old bike to use as a balance bike you won't worry about the falls so much, scraping the paint and causing dents and knocks etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now