Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Domestic bore alert! Best saucepans?

(43 Posts)
bunny2 Wed 18-May-05 09:54:30

Dh wants me to buy Le Creuset but they are so heavy - dont want wrist-ache! Are there any other makes that are as good but weight less? What are your recommendations pls?
TIA

mckenzie Wed 18-May-05 09:57:03

I love my Pampered Chef saucepans. Not too heavy.

suzywong Wed 18-May-05 10:01:37

don't buy bloody Le Creuset, you will indeed snap your wrist the first time you try and take a pan of pasta to the sink to drain

I love my John Lewis home brand I bought 6 years ago, all steel, they just say Jonelle and Made in Belgium on the bottom, they are fantastic

suzywong Wed 18-May-05 10:06:43

this is the kid of thread that may lure Coddy out of the woodwork

jenkel Wed 18-May-05 10:07:55

Just bought the tefal jamie oliver ones, seem really good and solid and not too heavy, no where near as heavy as le cruset, i did look at them and they are just too heavy

MoggyMummy Wed 18-May-05 10:31:43

You should try Scanpan from Denmark
Bit on the pricey side but they are fab to cook with.

Le Creuset might be ok for casserole dishes etc, but I wouldn't bother going for the saucepans at all.

soapbox Wed 18-May-05 10:35:37

I think any good stainless steel pans are best.

I have had my set for alost 20 years now and they look as good as new!

Everything comes off them really easily - even after the odd burnt food disaster

The only non-stick pan I use is an omelette pan which is a Tefal one. This has lasted very well, probably about 5 years old.

I do like Le Cruesset but only for their casserole dishes. I can't lift their normal pans at all!

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 10:44:35

I am watching this thread - I've even clicked on the 'watch this thread' button

what about the SKK pans that Delia recommends on her website??

clary Wed 18-May-05 10:44:54

I love my cuisinox pans, stainless steel and cook so well and last well too. Watch out with the smaller ones that the handles can get a bit hot tho (because they are more over the heat, esp with gas hob).
Le Creuset is great for a casserole but too heavy as others say for a saucepan imo.
Cuisinox are very expensive but good pans are well worth having. Have had one of mine since about 1987 and still use it every day.
(impossible to keep the shiny finish tho!)

clary Wed 18-May-05 10:49:30

ooh yummy they are lying about the mirror finish staying good tho, that’s only if you don’t use them lol

Sponge Wed 18-May-05 11:29:20

SKK are the best saucepans I have ever used. They have composite stainless steel bases so they conduct the heat properly but they have an all over anodised finish which basically means that they are indestructably non-stick. You can even use metal utensils in them with no ill effects.
handles aren't metal, so don't get hot, but can go in the oven. Likewise lids which are also see-through so you can see what's going on.
I have lots of expensive stainless steel saucepans but I now almost exclusively use my SKKs. We have a chef friend (proper head chef in big London hotel) who also uses nothing else.
They are expensive but worth it.
OK, rave over .

suzywong Wed 18-May-05 11:31:03

<quiver with delicious avarice at the idea of those SKKs>

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 15:59:47

I thiknk I'm going to get them <sing-song voice> and just add them on to the cost of my new kitchen

suzywong Wed 18-May-05 16:02:17

Well I am too so ner, when I get my new house!!!!! on the 12th

of never or so it seems at the moment, but hey ho musn't grumble

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 16:04:22

find the best price then suze and share

we can skip off into the distance smugly then

suzywong Wed 18-May-05 16:07:18

snort
twirling a saute pan in each hand

well I would but of course my prices will be in Aussie dollars

Sponge Wed 18-May-05 16:09:00

If you find bargain ones do share. I must feed my SKK cravings with a new one from time to time.

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 16:11:50

pah - forgot you were over there - what you doing up in the middle of the night discussing saucepans for ???

suzywong Wed 18-May-05 16:13:52

well since you ask, it's only twenty past 11 as we are only GMT+7 on the west coast and I am waiting for dh to come home as there is a big storm here and I am fretting a bit

and... I've had a look at delia's site and I have to say I much prefer the tri-ply silver ones

Sponge Wed 18-May-05 16:17:02

Aah, they may look nicer in the piccies but wait till you use them...........

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 16:18:53

someone told me its not a good idea to cook with aluminium pans because of ... <sorry mind switched off round about then and am now kicking myself>

are skk pans really heavy? which ones would you recommend as first purchase sponge?

flum Wed 18-May-05 16:21:07

I'm gonna put some good saucepans on my wedding list to make me a domestic goddess. so keep yakking ladeez

Cam Wed 18-May-05 16:38:12

Twiglett its because food can absorb some aluminium which is not good

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 16:48:01

which pans do you use most
which do you never use?

what types of pans do you think are really necessary to have.as in what sizes? with without lids? etc I think

a big stock pot type pan with lid for soups
2-3 medium to largish pans with lid for potatoes /pasta / rice /veg
a frying pan
a wok
a casserole dish with lid

is a small pan really necessary ?? (like a milk pan?)

Twiglett Wed 18-May-05 16:48:38

thanks cam - am not sure the person who originally told me about that was quite as succinct

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now