Talk

Advanced search

Isofix 2nd stage seat for VW Touran - can you help?

(9 Posts)
tab Wed 08-Jul-09 17:44:31

14 month old needs to move out of 1st stage. we had a maxi cosi cabriofix. fine. fitted by mothercare.

If you have a 2nd stage isofix seat in a touran can you let me know what it is please.
or if you have a priorifix can you let me know where you got it. I feel very confused.

today woman in mothercare refused to agree to sell me 2nd stage priorifix even though buttons are green not red (hope that makes sense)- ie it would appear to fit fine. Maxi Cosi have not got round to testing the isofix seats on the VW touran it seems. Now I feel very confused. I thought that the whole point of the isofix was that it clicks in. It is a semi universal seat but if the button wasnt green on the base leg thing then it shows it doesnt fit. With the cabriofix there was an issue with the underfloor storage space but on mothercares advice we knew that we just had to keep the lid up so that the pole went straight down to the floor. The second stage priorifix fits exactly the same as the first stage one except its the second stage one. aaa rrr ggggh hhhh!

I have two other children and just felt like yelling at the shop assistant but resisted of course. And yes- breathe- of course my child's safety has to come first.

any advice???

neolara Wed 08-Jul-09 17:54:07

We've just bought a britax duo plus (isofix) for our new touran. I bought it from Kiddicare. They fitted it for us as we went to the shop, but you can buy them from Kiddicare online. This Britax seat is one of the "Which" best buys and comes top or very near the top in terms of safety.

Kiddicare also said the the seats with stands that go down to the floor wouldn't be ok because of the underfloor storage in the Touran. Maybe their safety levels falls significantly if they are at the base of the underfloor storage space?

mm1509 Wed 08-Jul-09 17:55:44

Hi tab

It might be worth asking your local VW dealership what they recommend. With DD we bought a VW isofix seat direct from the dealer and it was great........it even matched my upholstery. We had a golf at the time and it was 4 years ago now but it might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.

nicm Wed 08-Jul-09 19:01:11

have you looked at a rear facing seat for your daughter? my ds is 14 months and has the britax 2 way elite. i have the same problems with underfloor storage! look on www.rearfacing.co.uk for more info.

tab Wed 08-Jul-09 19:08:14

Thank you everyone. You have calmed me down! Thank you for your very helpful suggestions. I still hate the woman in mothercare though!!!! I had to argue a little to get her to come out and try the car seat and then I tried to get the isofix base out to try the new one and was really struggling but she would not help! Horrible woman. sorry I will not rant anymore! Thanks guys.

mumo75 Wed 08-Jul-09 21:35:12

VW sell isofix seats that have been tested in VWs
we had the same with our VW transporter in mothercare so we went to our local VW dealers &they were fantastic

i felt like thumping the lady in mothercare too, well mothercare have lost my custom now as will stick to VW for my car seats from nopw on formy VW!!

tab Thu 09-Jul-09 17:41:33

Thinking about the vw own car seats. are they horrendously expensive. Having said that the maxi cosi priorifix was £250 in Mothercare. Glad you hate mothercare too mumo75. They always make me feel like an absolute criminal, checking my address etc when I take something back! But its very hard I find not to use them sometimes. You sound like you might have a big family with a vw transporter. I have vowed several times before not to go in there!! I just dont think they can do friendly/helpful ... just ...we will help you because we have to.

mumo75 Thu 09-Jul-09 21:11:47

tab,

LOL yes you could say 6 children of my own + several foster children might be a big family!!!smile

the VW seats are not horrendously expensive either about the same as from mothercare actually.

Cranberry Thu 09-Jul-09 21:17:49

Can I just say, the whole point of an ISOFIX seat (as I understand it) is that it's anchored to the chassy. On our S-Max our middle row of seats move back and forward so the seat would still only be anchored to the seat, if that makes sense so we didn't see the point.

Does that make sense?

Sorry to throw a spanner in the works but it's a lot of money for something that I don't think technically works?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now