Talk

Advanced search

Double buggies - anyone got a little shield meribel twin or safety 1st duodeal tandem? Recommendations for budget double buggies?

(15 Posts)
LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 07-Jul-09 20:28:46

And what do you think / are they any good?

Any other recommendations for a double buggy on a budget? Have a newborn and a nearly-2 YO.

TIA smile

nicolamumof3 Tue 07-Jul-09 22:04:04

something with air tyres will be so much easier to push. have a look at s/hand nipper 360.

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 07-Jul-09 22:19:44

Thanks nicola, I'll have a google.

Really can't be bothered to start going around and looking at them all over the place, it took us ages to choose DD1 buggy and I just can't be doing with the whole palaver all over again!

nicolamumof3 Tue 07-Jul-09 22:35:07

bless you finding a good double is hard, i had several as have an 18m gap, i've finished with doubles now, but would just say p&t was the best!!

Little Shield Meribel is absolutely fine, I had one as my first twin and loved it, yes it's a bit heavy but not overly so, the seats are roomy, only thing is the handles are pretty high.

Certainly preferred it to the Maclaren Rally Twin I got given!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 07-Jul-09 22:45:27

Oooh thanks marypoppins, it is so cheap I am very tempted. We are lucky that we live quite near the shops so I won't be doing too much heavy duty walking with it IYSWIM.

Nicola I bet P&T are wonderful but the £££ is just not doable! Not even going to look at them...

nicolamumof3 Tue 07-Jul-09 22:55:15

i know they cost alot of money, but i had a bit of a pram collection to sell off to fund mine. i do alot of walking and pushing two toddlers was becoming back breaking!

LovelyTinOfSpam Tue 07-Jul-09 23:02:57

Still not going to look at them...

<grits teeth>

grin

ilovegreenbeans Wed 08-Jul-09 14:57:55

this help? safety 1st

LovelyTinOfSpam Wed 08-Jul-09 20:26:27

Thanks greenbeans that's what triggered this!

Unfortunately both of our John Lewis nearby have run out of ones to look at and the reviews on the mothercare site aren't that hot - was hoping maybe someone had one could tell me if they're any good!

lecohen Wed 08-Jul-09 21:25:42

Hi there,

STEER CLEAR of the safety 1st one! Absolutely NOT for a baby in the back, terrible and DANGEROUS! Hope that helps

LovelyTinOfSpam Wed 08-Jul-09 21:29:43

Blimey! Do you work for Little Shield? grin

Message understood, the terrible and dangerous bit did it for me!

Lecohen, Dangergous and terrible? Why?

lecohen Sat 11-Jul-09 22:42:54

Hiya,

Ok...I can live with the bulkiness and heavy weight and poor quality fabrics and wheels BUT the reality is that I can't believe anyone in their right mind could use the back seat for a newborn despite it saying it is for newborn!(shall

Firstly, the seat itself is sloped so child just slips down and is merely held by the crappy harness for dear life...

secondly, it is not long enough ow seat) so if you have a normal sized baby (rather than a premmie) half the body is unsupported.

Thirdly, there is a metal bar at the back which the seat is clicked onto with poppers and this creates a "nest feeling" but for a bigger baby, it is so cramped and cannot be altered...it is very badly designed indeed!

If you go and have a look at one in person, you will understand what I mean, it's a bit difficult to describe.

NOTE: the back seat cannot be used in recline position if child is bigger than a prem

Now...if you manage to use the back seat (say with an older child) and put toddler in front (as designed), when you recline the toddler seat, it would rest on the legs of the child in the back.

I thought that it was so bad I called Dorel (who sell it) and the women I spoke with said it was the most complained about buggy they have on their list and she strongly urged me to get rid of it as soon as possible.

In fact, I bought it virtually brand new off ebay for like £28 and couldn't use it for the reasons stated above.

I advertised to sell it on here and a mum was really keen to buy it but I wouldn't sell it to her as I knew full well it would disappoint and be far too dangerous.

I sold it on ebay just to recover my costs and stipulated CLEARLY that despite age advised, I would NEVER use it for a baby... I sold it to a family with 2 older kids and they were delighted with it but maybe it is good for a 1 year old in the back, it suited their needs anyway.

I have a 7 month dd and I would not put her in the back even at this age....or ever!

Hope that helps x

lecohen Sat 11-Jul-09 22:44:26

EDIT:

secondly, it is not long enough (**SHALLOW seat) so if you have a normal sized baby (rather than a premmie) half the body is unsupported.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now