Talk

Advanced search

Everyday crockery - breaking clean in half!

(4 Posts)
ja9 Tue 17-May-05 20:43:12

In summer 2002 i bought a complete crockery set from a high street chain store. Since October 2004 (2.3 yrs later), items have started breaking in half. This is a result of hairline cracks which appear across the crockery. Handles have broken clean off mugs. The store no longer sells that tableware & so i cant buy replacements.

Surely 2 - 3yrs is NOT a satisfactory lifespan of everyday crockery? I spent about three hundred pounds on it. The tableware is faulty! I have kept a plate which has broken in two, plus a bowl that has the crack right across it, so i can show it to anyone i need to... I now need to do address the problem as i no longer have enough bowls etc, to run the house.

What should i do? I'm thinking of a letter of complaint? What do you think is reasonable to ask of them? Anything i should especially say?

Or do you think i am being unreasonable?

tiffini Tue 17-May-05 21:01:50

Do you put them through the dishwasher? maybe they are not dishwasher safe.

ja9 Tue 17-May-05 21:06:47

I do put them through the dishwasher.

BUT, it says on the back of the crockery ' Dishwasher safe. Oven Safe. Microwave safe. Freezer safe.

LIZS Tue 17-May-05 21:13:39

They could send a piece to be tested but tbh it is unlikely that it would be deemed faulty - the odd piece perhaps, but as they are not usually made at the same time they would probably not have formed part of the same batch. More likely is something called thermal shock where pieces are heated/cooled rapidly causing fractures ie. taken from oven or hot out of dishwasher and put on cold metal surface. Most china would say underneath whether it is dishwasher, microwave, oven safe etc and check you have used it accordingly.

Don't assume that just because it is no longer displayed there are no replacements available. Odd pieces may be held at the manufacturer for a number of years but just not actively retailed and there are china matching companies who buy up residual stock. May be more of a problem if made abroad though.

Go back to the retailer and ask what they might suggest.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now