Talk

Advanced search

More sling advice needed: newborn baby, uncoordinated mother

(23 Posts)
mrsbabookaloo Tue 07-Jul-09 10:19:34

Hi,

Have read mamamila's thread on which sling for a newborn, and everyone recommends a moby: I had also read the reviews and decided moby was the one for me, but have also read Notsorampantrabbit's thread where she is struggling to tie hers and get her baby comfy so am having second thoughts.

I am very cack-handed and not good at putting things together etc and also impatient, and can imagine myself getting in a pickle while trying to get 3 year old dd1 and the baby out of the house.

So, dd2 is 2 weeks old, I need a sling for a newborn that's EASY to use. It doesn't need to last forever or be useful when she's bigger. I'm not a committed babywearer and will be using pram and buggy board for longer trips out, just need a comfy, easy sling for popping round to neighbours/out to post box etc.

Had a ring sling (huggababy?) with dd1 which I didn't get on with at all, and a baby bjorn which was OK but not great; found it heavy and uncomfortable quite soon.

So, are Kari-Me or Closer baby carrier easier than Moby?

What do you advise?

Thanks in advance.

McDreamy Tue 07-Jul-09 10:22:30

I have a moby and a hotsling I used the hotsling most when DD was tiny. She is 5 months now and I still use it more than the Moby although if I am going to carry her for a while I will use the Moby as the weight is distributed over both shoulders.

mrsbabookaloo Tue 07-Jul-09 10:29:13

Hhmmm....not sure if the pouch type would suit me: feel like I would worry about baby falling out and not really have my hands free.

There is a sling meet near me on Thurs: think I should probaby go.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

SparkyMalarky Tue 07-Jul-09 10:31:54

I've got a Close baby one - it's easier than the Moby I think (it's already in the right 'shape') and manage to get DD (8 weeks) in and out quite easily now - although I did look in a mirror the first few times. It comes with a DVD which terrified me but it's actually quite straightforward for little ones.

It's also lovely and soft - several people have stopped me to say how cosy she looks

McDreamy Tue 07-Jul-09 10:33:18

I think a sling meet up is a great idea. I only bought my hotsling because I tried someone elses other wise I too would have been worried about the baby falling out.

mrsbabookaloo Tue 07-Jul-09 11:03:15

Thanks Sparky.

Think I will go to the meet up.

Any other opionions on mob versus Kari Me versus Closer?

mrsbabookaloo Tue 07-Jul-09 11:03:22

Thanks Sparky.

Think I will go to the meet up.

Any other opinions on mob versus Kari Me versus Closer?

mrsbabookaloo Tue 07-Jul-09 11:03:43

Sorry, Moby.

fairimum Tue 07-Jul-09 11:23:06

I did love the moby but very fiddly and i did get frustrated with it lots! found I used my connecta much much more and still am now she is 13 months (although now on my back)- www.connectababycarrier.com/

we have a soarweave one that has the hood thingy which was great to keep the sun off her head when tiny and now it stops her head flopping if she falls asleep well worth its money!

mrsbabookaloo Tue 07-Jul-09 13:26:17

ooh, interesting. Thanks fairimum, that looks like a possibility.

misdee Tue 07-Jul-09 13:27:20

i dont think the connecta is suitable for little ones. think its 3months+

mrsbabookaloo Tue 07-Jul-09 13:31:40

ok, thanks; will check.

Do you have a Kari Me or a Closer baby sling, misdee?

misdee Tue 07-Jul-09 14:06:38

i hasve a kari me i'm selling

MegBusset Tue 07-Jul-09 14:08:40

I have a Close one but have struggled with it with DS2 (now 10 weeks) -- he is tall (and I'm short) and his head doesn't fit in it at all so is unsupported and flops backwards, looking really uncomfortable.

Loopymumsy Wed 08-Jul-09 12:01:49

Message withdrawn

Pinkjenny Wed 08-Jul-09 12:40:40

Where would I get a pouch one? That sounds right up my street.

[hijack emoticon]

CMOTdibbler Wed 08-Jul-09 12:45:28

You can get them from Slingjax

LauraN1 Wed 08-Jul-09 15:46:41

Have you seen a tri-cotti? It's similar to a pouch, but you use a second piece of fabric to distribute the weight over both shoulders (and you have the baby doubly secured if you're worried about 'falling out').
http://www.babylonia.be/product.php?mainid=29&subid=32&lang=ENG

I know that wraps can seem a bit daunting at the beginning, but even I managed to be quite quick with putting it on.

I never had one myself, but many people find that the kari-me is too much fabric. So it might not suit you if you / your baby are small. I used a calin bleu wrap by the way, which i loved. Enjoy your slingmeet!

naomi83 Thu 09-Jul-09 09:07:26

i had a wraparound sling and it drove me mad, took me ages to get on and found it uncomfortable. i'd go for a babybjorn active next time round, very simple to use, and more back support than the original. i've got two friends who still use it for 9 month olds

mrsbabookaloo Fri 10-Jul-09 10:09:53

Sorry, have just seen that more have contributed to this thread: had a terrible couple of days with dd and lost interest in everything except catching up on sleep!

Thanks for all advice: am coming round to the idea of a pouch.

Didn't make it to the slingmeet: everything had gone into meltdown!

Does anyone know which site you can hire from, or try before you buy? I've seen this mentioned in lots of places but none of the websites I've looked at (bigmama etc) do it.

Thanks.

Nemoandthefishes Fri 10-Jul-09 10:13:31

pouchsling is fantastic. I had one made from lady on ebay and keeps my hands free to keep hold of both dds[2+3yrs} hands while on school run etc. Fair price aswell..think mine was £18 made in my choice of colours etc..DD3[4wks] is very snug and comfy in there which is always a bonus.

Loopymumsy Fri 10-Jul-09 12:20:32

Message withdrawn

mrsbabookaloo Fri 10-Jul-09 12:28:49

Thanks nemo and loopy: I was just on theslingjax site and had managed to miss the large sidebar that said HIRE! I'm blaming lack of sleep....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now