Talk

Advanced search

DS vs DSi

(16 Posts)
tkband3 Mon 06-Jul-09 17:29:32

DD1 is 6 at the weekend and we are getting her a DS for her birthday.

She really wants a pink one with the Nintendogs game and I've found a good offer on Play.com for this. But I'm wondering whether I'd be buying her something which may become obsolete in the not too distant future and whether I should spend the extra on a DSi.

I'd be grateful for any advice either way - this is my first venture into the electronic games arena since I was a girl (and that was a good while ago smile).

tkband3 Mon 06-Jul-09 19:55:18

Hopeful bump for evening crowd smile

shabster Mon 06-Jul-09 20:52:08

Will ask our Tom in the morning TK he is the electronics master grin

PersonalClown Mon 06-Jul-09 20:58:52

I refuse to upgradehmm to the dsi as you can't play Guitar Hero on it!!!

BananaFruitBat Mon 06-Jul-09 21:01:17

They're still making and selling DSs/DSes.

I will not be parted from mine.

Mate with DSi (OK, mate's DH) thinks it's got too much crap on it.

HTH

frumpygrumpy Mon 06-Jul-09 21:56:59

Hi doll grin

My DD1 has a DS and her friend has just upgraded to a DSi. They still connect together and DD1's friend still plays all the same games. The only difference to them is that her friend can take photos. They are ages 8 and 9 respectively.

Personally, I think that a straightforward DS will offer all that you need and that in 2/3 years (when she is of an age to really get into what's current) she can always trade it in for an upgrade. GAME do trade ins.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 06-Jul-09 22:01:57

The web browser on DD's DSi came in very handy when we were without our laptop for a couple of weeks recently!

DD loves the photo capabilities on the DSi (you can manipulate the images)

Saying that we never had a DS so can't compare DS v DSi

frumpygrumpy Mon 06-Jul-09 22:06:14

I think that is just it. She's going to be 6. She is looking for games she can have success at.......not add ons.....

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Mon 06-Jul-09 22:10:45

Ds has both. The DSi is alot of fun and you can download certain games (for a fee). The camera is very good and they can record sound (a few seconds though) and distort it. It does have a web browser but I can't work out how to use it blush. They will be making games for the dsi at some point.

GAME only do trade ins if the ds/dsi is in top condition. Ds dropped his ds and has broken one of the hindges(sp?), it wasn't worth alot to trade it in so I brought him a dsi for his birthday.

glastocat Mon 06-Jul-09 22:19:24

I have a DS which I share with my soon to be eight year old. I've bought him a DSi for his birthday, and the extras are pretty cool. I know my kid will have hours of fun messing with the cameras and the sound thingy. If you can afford it, get the new one,although your kid will love either especially as your girl is just six. In my son's class the kids with DSs think they are lucky, only a few have the new ones yet.

tkband3 Tue 07-Jul-09 12:33:45

Thanks all. I think I will go for the DS, given that she is going to be 6 and this is her first go at this kind of thing. And she does desperately want a pink one hmm grin.

MilaMae Tue 07-Jul-09 14:36:47

My son is 6 same dilemma, I'd rather the old one too but concerned about the poss of it and it's games being discontinued. Is that a likely?

tkband3 Tue 07-Jul-09 15:51:16

Have just got a really good deal on a pink DS, complete with Nintendogs game, Big Brain Academy, accessories set and vouchers towards further games. There were some slightly cheaper deals on Play.com, but I wasn't sure it would arrive in time. DD1 is going to be over the moon on Saturday grin.

MilaMae, from what I can see, you can play the DS games on the DSi - they seem interchangeable, it's just that the DS has extras, such as the camera etc.

shabster Tue 07-Jul-09 19:03:54

VERDICT FROM TOM!!!!

Tom has the original DS and thinks it is the best one - his friends have the DS lite but he prefers his DS. Also says DSi's wont play Gameboy games or his beloved Guitar Hero. grin

He says 'the DSi only comes in different colours in the Winter time just before Xmas!'

Tom reckons you made a good choice!

His big brother, DS1, just bought him Guitar Hero for his DS (early birthday present) and he is turning into a 'rock music expert!!'

hana Tue 07-Jul-09 19:14:08

tkband3 - where did you get your set from? was it play.com in the end, or a better deal elsewhere? am planning ahead for dd's bday in sept. she'll be 8

tkband3 Tue 07-Jul-09 22:59:28

V. glad Tomster approves grin.

Hana, got mine from Smyths Toys in the end - they've got some good bundles in there at the moment, and their customer service (in my experience at our local store) is pretty good. I dealt with a young chap who I'd spoken to about it a couple of times recently, and he gave me an extra tenner off grin grin. The whole deal cost £130 (separately the items I bought would have come to about £150 in Smyths) and I got a couple of vouchers thrown in as well...the pink DS with Nintendogs was £89.99 on play.com, but I figured the extra stuff made it worthwhile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now