Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

shampoo

(22 Posts)
spykid Tue 17-May-05 13:38:55

Been advised by a hairdresser friend to invest in 'salon quality shampoo to improve condition of my hair.
Quite fancy trying kerastase. Has anyone tried it, and where do you buy it from?
Does salon quality make a difference????

flum Tue 17-May-05 13:39:44

shouldn't think so. i think she means. buy some shampoo from me because I get commission.

spykid Tue 17-May-05 13:40:59

did wonder that but she is a mobile hairdresser!!!

anchovies Tue 17-May-05 13:43:56

Salon shampoo won't make much of a difference I don't think, it's conditioner that can help?

spykid Tue 17-May-05 13:45:05

so do you reckon bog standard shampoo and better conditioner?

docket Tue 17-May-05 13:46:44

hmm, my cousin is a hairdresser and he told me that it is the quality of the shampoo that matters, not the conditioner. so if that's true splash on the shampoo and not the conditioner.

pinkmama Tue 17-May-05 13:46:47

I was pondering this the other day. My mobile hairdresser recomends I use salon stuff too, but quite frankly I cant afford to. I buy the special treatment mask stuff from her, but thats it. I was wondering is there really a difference? She says its to do with the ph balance, but have to say I am not convinced.

toomanypushchairs Tue 17-May-05 13:48:18

Don't know if salon shampoo really makes a difference but I have tried Kerastase. It's lovely. Bought it for my dh who gets dandruff. Head & Shoulders etc makes it worse. The kerastase was so nice I used it all the time.

spykid Tue 17-May-05 13:49:50

pinkmama, I was told it was stuff in shampoo, chemicals that strip hair...same as ph balance I guess!
Need someone to appear who uses salon stuff and knows where to get it cheap!!!

gingerbear Tue 17-May-05 13:50:54

And with salon shampoos they last longer as you need less per wash to get a good lather (bit like fairy liquid and netto cheapo)

anchovies Tue 17-May-05 13:51:23

Think you just need to make sure you're using the right shampoo for your hair type, moisturising/ protein based for curly/dry, gentle for oily etc

Have used a million salon shampoos and usually love them but usually for the smell (tigi for example smells delish) more than for how they treat my hair.

Sponge Tue 17-May-05 13:52:22

I have to say I really notice a difference if I use posh shampoo as opposed to bog standard stuff. My hair is softer and scalp less itchy. Much more of a difference than between normal and expensive conditioners.

gingerbear Tue 17-May-05 13:53:06

powderpuff.net sells GHD shampoos etc.

spykid Tue 17-May-05 13:53:18

What would you recommend sponge?

anchovies Tue 17-May-05 13:54:19

Think very cheap shampoo contains a lot of surfactants (silicon etc) which coat your hair?

Sponge Tue 17-May-05 14:03:13

I've been using Lazartigue stuff which is pretty expensive but it does last ages as you only need a tiny bit (and I have quite a lot of hair).

docket Tue 17-May-05 14:06:38

in my more affluent days i used both mop and aveda shampoos (aveda shampure is lovely), you can get both from lookfantastic.co.uk

expatinscotland Tue 17-May-05 14:14:24

Kerastase Bain Satin. Lovely stuff!

spykid Tue 17-May-05 14:19:06

oooo expat, which one for fine long hair 1, 2 or 3?????

spykid Tue 17-May-05 14:21:10

docket just looked at that web site and the prices are really good!
£2 off prices I have seen kerastase for

expatinscotland Tue 17-May-05 14:23:18

i'll have to look at my bottle, as my hair is short and coloured.

docket Tue 17-May-05 14:27:01

yes, it's the cheapest place i've found. quite fancy treating myself now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now