Talk

Advanced search

ear thermometers

(12 Posts)
kazbeth Mon 06-Jul-09 10:58:33

Can anyone recommend one of these please? Or has anyone seen any offers on them,
thanks

hana Mon 06-Jul-09 11:15:24

we have a braun thermoscan, bought from amazon
is fab

seeker Mon 06-Jul-09 11:17:09

But you do know, don't you, that unless your child has particular health issues, you don't actually need a thermometer at all?

McDreamy Mon 06-Jul-09 11:21:03

I also have a braun thermoscan which has just stopped working after 6 years of great service! I am going to replace however seeker has got a point - I remember my GP telling me - treat the symptoms not the temperature. ( Won't stop me from having one in the cupboard though!!)

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Mon 06-Jul-09 11:21:12

We have the Braun Thermoscan. They are used on some NHS wards, so I guess they are rated.

If you are just going to use it for your family I wouldn't bother buying the extra plastic covers.

seeker Mon 06-Jul-09 12:00:19

I've never had one. I would much rather not be lulled into a false sense of security or panicked. A child can be really ill with not much of a temperature and not very ill at all with a high one.

kazbeth Mon 06-Jul-09 13:27:30

Um, ok. I was just after some recommendations for one.

My daughter is ill and we were told to check her temp + also after giving her calpol to make sure it went down (was very high). Our thermometer takes a while to work so just wanted something quicker so I didn't have to subject a small child to sitting still for ages in case either are ill again. Does that justify my need for one? I wasn't planning on shoving one in her ear just for the sake of it.

kazbeth Mon 06-Jul-09 13:28:31

forgot to say thanks for the recommendations of the braun one .. I'll take a look at prices.

hana Mon 06-Jul-09 13:29:18

you don't have to justify yourself to anyone here!

go for the thermoscan. grin

seeker Mon 06-Jul-09 13:43:26

Of course you don;t have to justify your need for one.

McDreamy Mon 06-Jul-09 21:03:53

They're reduced in Mothercare at the moment.

FanjolinaJolie Tue 07-Jul-09 16:15:27

Braun Thermoscan, we've had it four years and still going strong.

DD1 suffers from febrile convulsions so I do keep an eye on her temp to see how fast its rising and hopefully ward off a convulsion with meds etc.

Our GP uses the same one. Also seen Braun at a childrens hospital so they must have a great rep.

You can take their temp while asleep, too. Two seconds and you're done! Brill!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now