Talk

Advanced search

which bottles for bf newborn?

(8 Posts)
mamamila Mon 06-Jul-09 09:13:19

hi,

i'm planning to express from the start with dd2 (due in 5 weeks) but which bottles are best for bf newborns?

and do i need to get the same brand of steriliser? and which steriliser? microwave or steam?

i'll probably only give 1 bottle expressed bm a day.

i've never used bottles with the other 2 and as with all baby products there are just so many to choose between!

ByThePowerOfGreyskull Mon 06-Jul-09 09:17:21

not sure, but I would question doing it from the start if you are planning to mainly BF, I would wait a few weeks to get BF established with your little one, BUT I am sure there will be hundreds of ladies along in a minute to explain why I am wrong.

Hope all goes well though smile

mamamila Mon 06-Jul-09 09:27:16

well i'm reading the gina ford contented baby book at the moment..
and full of plans to instigate a routine from the beginning and not end up with another dd that can't sleep by herself, also scared of not having time with dd1 if stuck on sofa bf-ing for first couple of months.. if it'll really happen i'm not sure!

i've read the advice that bottles should wait until bf established which made me wonder if there are some bottles specifically more suited for bf newborns

Jojay Mon 06-Jul-09 09:33:35

I gave both mine a bottle of EBM from 2 wks with no problems - saying that DS2 refused any sort of bottle from 3 months onwards, so starting early is no guarantee that they'll continue taking it.

I like the MAM bottles as the teats are very soft and kind of nipple shaped.

Most bottles will fit in most sterilisers so no need to stick to the same brand - not sure if MAM do one anyway. I have a microwave steriliser and it's great.

Jojay Mon 06-Jul-09 09:35:26

Oh, and Gina Ford worked like a charm for DS1, but was impossible for DS2 - mostly because the rest of my life didn't fit in with her timings, so don't beat yourself if it doesn't work out.

fairimum Mon 06-Jul-09 13:15:29

MAM bottles were fab for us! Saying that she refused the tommee tippee and the advent ones, but the MAM were fine!

JRocks Mon 06-Jul-09 13:43:11

I've just noticed on the Mam Uk website their bottles are on offer - packs and singles are buy one get one free. So are the soothers.

mamamila Mon 06-Jul-09 20:51:29

thanks for advice, i've bought a tommee tipee micro steriliser and bottles, half price in boots, only £20 the lot!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now