Talk

Advanced search

School Uniform virgin! When and where please ladies?!

(11 Posts)
cheekymonk Mon 06-Jul-09 07:54:13

Morning ladies
DS starts school this Sept and I see school uniform is EVERYWHERE! when I was kid they at least waited until the Summer hols!!!

I started to have a look yesterday in M & S and saw the trousers were pretty cheap but they felt disgusting, all starchy and not that comfortable I would imagine. I know they have to be hardwearing however and they had a stain defence thing too!!! Also there was a choice of flat front or one pleat ofr fold. Wouldn't the pleated ones be a bit grandad like?

When do you buy it? I was thinking to wait as long as poss in case ds grows but don't wnt to be left with all the crap? Also where do you all recommend?
Any advice ???

Oblomov Mon 06-Jul-09 08:52:26

M&S stuff is the best. You know its true. And whatever you do, don't leave it too late, your'll regret it. Especially school shoes. Buy them NOW. Do yourself a favour !!

cheekymonk Mon 06-Jul-09 17:26:30

Thanks oblomov!

FanjolinaJolie Tue 07-Jul-09 16:17:47

There was a very useful thread about school uniforms last month. You could search for that.

I have bought quite a bit from Sainsburys. I thought M&S was overpriced compared to Sainsburys.

flaime Tue 07-Jul-09 19:50:56

I've always found it better to get several cheaper pairs so you don't worry about what they do to them. They still look just as smart and no-one can tell. smile

I've just bought a load of new trousers from sainsbury's in their sale, £3.25 for two pairs and they are really lovely quality.

Little boys will put their knees through the trousers whether they cost £2 a pair or £12. They are always crawling on the floor or playground and it's a shame to stop them having fun...

SameAsYou Tue 07-Jul-09 19:58:47

Ooooo I will look on that thread but I have got a little obsessed with buying uniform as people have drilled into me buy now or all the sizes will go!

So far I have bought blush

9 polo shirts
3 shirts
6 pair of trousers
3 pair of shorts
6 jumpers

I got from M&S and as I have bought in batches of 3's, I have bought 2 sizes for now and the next size up as the third set (hope that makes sense as all on 342)

I am looking for a red tank top at the moment but can only find one for 12.99 and don't really want to pay that when his jumpers are only £2. Will go search of the thread smile

gegs73 Tue 07-Jul-09 20:00:56

I got DS1 uniform from M&S last year.

Pleat front trousers (flat front ones were £12!) with adjustable waist. I think unless your LO is very small or exceptionally thin, they look good and are pretty flat fronted anyway. I tried buying trousers from Sainsburys, but took them back as they looked like clown trousers on him shock

Also I got polo shirts from there too which have washed really well and have not shrunk and are still white. You do need to buy a couple of age sizes bigger though as they come up small.

I'd bought it about the begining of August last year from memory. Everything was huge so it wasn't too small before he started. Like Oblomov said don't leave buying shoes too late or all the sizes have gone.

goldrock Tue 07-Jul-09 20:21:07

I'd try on in different shops as they don't all fit the same, I find supermarket are OK is your DS is fairly slim but M & S is better for the rounder tummy.
I'd buy now as you won't get the offers later in the summer - you can always buy the next size or exchange in a few weeks if your DS has a major growth spurt.
If you have to buy anything from a uniform supplier I'd get it/order it now as ime the smaller reception sizes will all be sold out if you leave it too late.
Good luck

pebbles79 Tue 07-Jul-09 20:35:20

I buy the majority of things from Next, although you have to order it all online as they don't stock it in the shops. I'm not a fan of trousers with creases down the front and Next do a flat front trouser and a jeans style trouser and they also have an adjustable waist which I need as my DS is tall and skinny! I also like the fact that they have zip-up polo shirts which are easier for kids to do on their own.

cheekymonk Thu 09-Jul-09 17:00:54

Thanks everyone, will have a look for the older thread...

Worzsel Thu 09-Jul-09 17:03:59

I got some on DDs today in Debenhams. It was buy one get one half price and then 10% off aswell and its all lovely quality.. fabby !

M&S had some nice stuff too and as previously mentioned is 3 for 2.

I am amazed i have been so organised grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now