Talk

Advanced search

What's with two wheels at the front of scooters?

(16 Posts)
potatofactory Sun 05-Jul-09 21:08:26

Is it better? My dd is 2 and a little bit. She is desperate for a scooter, and I spend every time at the park peeling her off other children's ones.

Is two wheels at the front better or worse for a very young (and not that confident, physically) child?

Advice gratefully received

smile

rowergirl Sun 05-Jul-09 21:21:55

DS1 got his micro scooter for his 2nd birthday and loves it - it took him a while to get the hang of letting it glide between pushes but its pretty stable and he loves going out on it. The other plus side is the fact that you can dismantle it really easily and chuck it in the bottom of a buggy/ on top of the canopy if you are out for a long time.
The only negative stuff I've heard is from a childless friend who lives in London and complains about kids using them erratically on the streets near her - we're in the sticks so not generally a prob!

coppola Sun 05-Jul-09 21:23:01

better, because they can steer.

the micro scooter is the one.

potatofactory Sun 05-Jul-09 21:28:01

Brilliant, thanks ladies. They look a bit lethal to me - but it's probably just because it's not what I'm used to seeing - they are everywhere, so that must be because people like them!

BananaFruitBat Sun 05-Jul-09 21:28:09

DS has one with 2 wheels close together at the back. Much easier to steer.

This one

potatofactory Sun 05-Jul-09 21:30:35

Thanks for link! Now I'm confused. The wheels look tiny - is that faster, as opposed to safer, or is there no difference, safety-wise?

SoupDragon Sun 05-Jul-09 21:32:23

DD (3) has the same as Bananafruitbat's link. Fab.

CarGirl Sun 05-Jul-09 21:33:48

the smaller the wheels the slower/more energy it takes to go faster.

mini micro much lighter

Hulababy Sun 05-Jul-09 21:34:15

\lnk{http://www.johnlewis.com/230407861/Product.aspx\Do you mean this one?}

Seen loads of them in the park today, all being ridden pretty speedily by young toddlers.

Hulababy Sun 05-Jul-09 21:34:40

Try again

squeaver Sun 05-Jul-09 21:35:10

Way better. get a micro.

NeedaNewName Sun 05-Jul-09 21:35:13

I got DD1 a cheaper scooter with 2 wheels at the back as there was no way on earth I was spending over £40 for a bloody scotter - well she hated it and never went on it. It was rattley, didn't feel safe and we finally got rid of it a few weeks.

With DD2 she kept borrowing a friends micro scooter and loved it so yes we spent over £40 on a bloody scooter and plan to do so again to get the next size up for DD1.

I highly recommend the micro scooter if thats the one you're talking about

weblette Sun 05-Jul-09 21:36:39

DS has the mini micro - loves it, mastered it very quickly. It's very stable as it's so low to the ground.

NeedaNewName Sun 05-Jul-09 21:36:42

oh the cheaper one we got for DD1 was the flashing light one - personally wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

Tortoise Sun 05-Jul-09 21:36:50

Two wheels at the front make it easier to push along because when there are 2 wheels at the back they can get in the way of the pushing foot iyswim.

potatofactory Sun 05-Jul-09 21:42:33

Thanks for all input. She'll be so chuffed - I'll have a think, and buy her one tonight I think!

smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now